Ask the Expert Series: Why is it Important to Count Kicks During Pregnancy?

Hello everyone! 👋 I am Dr Peter Wang, MBBS, Anchor Doctor at Speedoc. 👨🏻‍⚕️ As a healthcare professional and a parent, I understand that the health and well-being of your little one is of utmost importance. Hence, I am hosting this session to discuss key topics such as the vital role in monitoring your baby’s health and care tips that aim to support your physical and mental well-being as you embrace parenthood. 🌺💖 Kindly leave your questions in the comments section below. I will do my best to respond to every question! 💡🗣️ Topic: Why is it Important to Count Kicks During Pregnancy? 🤰 Date: Wednesday, 16 August 2023 Time: 8.00 pm to 9.00 pm

Ask the Expert Series: Why is it Important to Count Kicks During Pregnancy?
20 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Is it normal not to feel much of baby movement if mummy is too active in the day (e.g doing house chores, walking around, etc)?

8mo trước

Fetal movements are unique to the individual fetus. That is why making it a habit to count kicks is especially important as it allows you to notice patterns and what’s normal for your fetus. You may notice the fetus is more active at certain times during the day. It’s common for mothers to notice more movement particularly after a meal. This is because of the increase in glucose in your blood. Others notice more movement in the evenings when they are going to bed. It is also very possible that you don’t feel the fetus moving during the day because you're busy, at work, with chores, or caring for your other children. Most people will begin feeling the fetus kick around 20 weeks into pregnancy as a general guide. By the third trimester (28 weeks of pregnancy), you should have a general sense of the movement patterns of the fetus.

does baby only kick? does baby punch or flip or do any other movements? how can I differentiate it?

8mo trước

Absolutely! While the term "kicking" is commonly used to describe fetal movements, babies in the womb can actually perform a variety of movements, much like they would after birth. They may kick, punch, roll, stretch, flip and even hiccup. It is important to note that fetal hiccups are rhythmic, repetitive movements that can feel like gentle taps or twitches and should not be counted as fetal movements when specifically monitoring and counting fetal movements.

How does counting kicks help in monitoring the well-being and development of the baby in the womb?

8mo trước

Changes in fetal movement patterns can indicate potential issues, such as fetal distress, growth problems, or reduced oxygen supply. When there is reduced oxygen supply, the fetus is thought to compensate by decreasing its movements thereby conserving its utilisation of precious oxygen. Keeping track of kicks can provide early warning signs of any complications and prompt medical attention if needed. However, it's important to remember that while monitoring at home can provide some insights and suggest possible distress, it is at best a convenient screening tool and is not a replacement for regular professional prenatal care.

Is there connection between fetal movement and the baby's sleep-wake cycles during pregnancy?

8mo trước

Excellent question! Fetal sleep is a common and benign cause of decreased fetal movement. It’s normal for fetuses to have periods of rest, sleep and activity. Sleep cycles may last up to 40 minutes so if you feel decreased movements in the first hour, do extend the period of rest and focused counting by another hour.

What is the recommended frequency and timing for counting kicks during 2nd and 3rs trimester?

8mo trước

The minimum number of maternally perceived fetal movements (kicks) consistent with fetal well-being has been termed the "alarm limit." While there are various different proposed methods, the most commonly referred to method with an alarm limit would be the "count to 10" method. This involves the mothers perception of least 10 kicks over up to two hours when the mother is at rest and focused on counting. This method has a high compliance and acceptance rate among mothers because it is easy to perform, convenient, and does not take much time. There are also free apps available to help you to keep track of the number of kicks.

How does it affects baby health? What if one day you find your baby not kicking as much

8mo trước

Changes in fetal movement patterns can indicate potential issues, such as fetal distress, growth problems, or reduced oxygen supply. When there is reduced oxygen supply, the fetus is thought to compensate by decreasing its movements thereby conserving its utilisation of precious oxygen. Keeping track of kicks can provide early warning signs of any complications and prompt medical attention if needed. If you notice any significant changes in movement or have concerns, don't hesitate to contact your healthcare provider for guidance and monitoring.

How do factors like water intake, food intake influence fetal movement patterns?

8mo trước

Food intake: High blood sugar levels might lead to increased fetal movements, while low blood sugar levels could lead to decreased movements. Water intake: Dehydration can lead to reduced amniotic fluid levels, which might create less space for the baby to move. Drinking enough water can help maintain a healthy amniotic fluid level, allowing the baby to move more freely.

What is the recommended frequency and timing for counting kicks in 2nd tri?

Could you share any resources or links to learn proper kick counting techniques?

8mo trước

The website is blocking me from responding to your other question regarding the danger of increased fetal movements for some reason. Here is my response to that question. Yes, an increase in fetal movement can sometimes indicate a concern, especially if it is a sudden or significant change from the baby's usual pattern. As a general principle, it's important to recognise what's normal for your baby's movement patterns and pay attention to any sudden or drastic changes. This highlights the importance of counting kicks on a regular basis as this would help you understand your fetus "normal movements" better. If you experience a sudden increase in movements, it's a good idea to contact your healthcare provider to discuss your observations.

my baby kicks when I play music. is that good or bad? should I play more music?

8mo trước

Babies can hear sounds from around the 20th week of pregnancy. They might respond to music, voices, and other external sounds by moving or even changing their heart rate. Feeling your baby kick in response to music is considered a positive sign. It's a lovely way to interact with your baby even before they're born. Many expectant parents enjoy playing music or talking to their babies in the womb as a way to bond and stimulate their senses. Just bear in mind that it's a good idea to keep the volume at a comfortable level. Loud noises or prolonged exposure to very loud music might be overwhelming for the baby.