Ask The Expert Series: Postpartum Recovery Tips for New Mothers

Hi there! How's everyone doing today? I'm super excited to be here with you for this upcoming topic on maintaining a healthy weight during pregnancy. I am Dr Smily Lock, MBBS, MMed (FM), Head of Healthcare Solutions (Chronic and Long-Term Care) at Speedoc. Together with the team at TheAsianParent, we would love to address your concerns and share our thoughts for the community to learn from as well. Kindly leave your questions in the comment section below, and we will do our best to respond to them! Topic: Postpartum Recovery Tips for New Mothers Date: Thursday, 30th March 2023 Time: 8.00 to 9.00 pm

Ask The Expert Series: Postpartum Recovery Tips for New Mothers
21 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Community user question: https://community.theasianparent.com/q/mummies-how-long-did-take-yall-stop-experiencing-pain-when-walking-leavin/4577360 how long did it take for yall to stop experiencing pain when walking or just leaving the bed after csection? im at my 8th day and still experiencing some pain and ive run out of painkillers provided frm the hosp. does anyone know if we can request for more painkillers frm the hosp since the nxt appt is only after 6 weeks? really feeling down about recovery time..

Read more
1y trước

Dear user, thank you for your entry. In view of your painful symptoms after C-section, do seek your obstetrician or a general practitioner's advice early for an assessment of your condition.

is there anyway to boost breast milk during postpartum and how long for a lady who went for normal delivery that she can go for showering. as for my first pregnancy I took 3 weeks to recover then I can start showering I worry that second pregnancy is more complicated than first.

Anyone experienced painful mummy's wrists? Mine hurts so bad that I have difficulty in scooping/ carrying my baby up. I can't even hold my toothbrush properly without pain:(

1y trước

Dear user, thank you for your entry. Dequervain’s tenosynovitis of the wrist is a common tendinitis that is often termed “mummy’s wrist”. It can be very disturbing and disabling especially when taking care of a newborn. Several treatment options are available, like a wrist guard, anti-inflammatory medications or steroid injections around the tendon may help with the symptoms. For further advice, do seek a medical professional for a tailored treatment plan.

As a husband, how do I know if my wife is experiencing post partum depression? Are there physical signs of this? Thank you

1y trước

Dear user, thank you for your entry. Postpartum depression is defined as a major depressive episode during pregnancy or in the first 4 weeks post partum. Some symptoms include low mood, poor sleep, feelings of guilty and lethargy. A self-scoring tool may be helpful like Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS) https://www.healthhub.sg/programmes/183/parent-hub/depression-scale. For further advice, do seek a medical professional for assessment.

Does a woman have to continue her prenatal vitamins for fast recovery? or Does she need to change or stop them?

1y trước

Dear user, thank you for your entry. Vitamins required prenatally differ from those required postnatally, and may not necessarily contribute to faster recovery. Prenatal vitamins containing folate is most appropriately taken pre-pregnancy or during recommended stages of pregnancy, hence do refer to the label or seek your family physician if further guidance is required.

Hi, I have back pain after my c-section. How can recover from it? My baby is 6 weeks now,

1y trước

Dear user, thank you for your entry. Back pain may have varying causes. A medical consultation with your family doctor should include an assessment and recommendation for your back pain.

Does taking fenugreek tea and lactation cookies help boost breastmilk supply post-partum?

1y trước

Dear user, thank you for your entry. There are varying evidence regarding fenugreek as a galactagogue compared to placebo in research studies, hence not scientifically proven or internationally recommended for breastfeeding at present.

How long will it take to recover after c-section? What are the tips for fast recovery?

1y trước

Dear user, thank you for your entry. With a C-section wound, do abide to the nurse’s instruction in keeping the wound clean and avoiding strenuous activities will encourage healing.

Bleeding is high after childbirth. Is it normal? Do we need to contact our doctor?

1y trước

Dear user, thank you for your entry. Some blood stains per vaginally may be seen after a normal pregnancy, and may be classified as lochia. However, if “bleeding is high”, do seek a medical practitioner’s opinion on your condition.

How soon can we start exercising again after birth for both natural and c-sec?

1y trước

Dear user, thank you for your entry. Light exercise may resume 6 weeks after birth, which is around the time the wound should be fully healed. However, if you are still experiencing pain from the wound, do consult a medical practitioner before proceeding.