Ask the Expert Series: All About Sex During Pregnancy

Hello everyone! 👋 During pregnancy, couples often have questions regarding sex and intimacy. I am delighted to be hosting this session to address your concerns when you are going through this exciting phase. I will offer you with insights about practices for safe sex during pregnancy and precautions you should note of. I am Dr Peter Wang, MBBS Anchor Doctor at Speedoc. Kindly leave your questions in the comments section below. We will do our best to respond to every question! 💡🗣️ Topic: All About Sex During Pregnancy Date: Wednesday, 27th September 2023 Time: 8.00 - 9.00 pm

Ask the Expert Series: All About Sex During Pregnancy
33 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I experienced a traumatic event related to sex in my past, and it's resurfacing as a concern during pregnancy. How can I address this emotional challenge and maintain a healthy sex life?

After the birth of our first child, we struggled to find time for intimacy due to hectic schedule. Can you share tips for maintaining intimacy as new parents?

During my last pregnancy, I experienced some discomfort during sex. Are there specific strategies or positions to make it more comfortable this time around?

I feel that I don’t feel wet as before after gotten pregnant, now at week 18. I feel discomfort when having sex. Any advice?

my partner is more anxious about having sex. How can we address this anxiety and maintain our emotional connection?

Are there specific sex positions or timings that could affect what gender my baby is? what does science say so far?

7mo trước

No. The gender of the baby is solely determined by whether the male sperm is carrying an X or a Y chromosome. Sexual positions or timings do not affect the probability of either of those occurrences.

I've read about the importance of Kegel exercises during pregnancy. How can these exercises benefit sexual health?

7mo trước

There are many benefits of kegal exercises that go beyond sexual health. Kegals exercises essentially work by strengthen the pelvic floor muscle. Specifically pertaining to sexual health, a strong pelvic floor can help maintain or improve vaginal tone, which may enhance sexual sensation and pleasure. It can also improve blood flow to the genital area, potentially leading to better vaginal lubrication. This can reduce discomfort or dryness during sexual activity.

How does 3rd trimester typically affect a woman's sexual desire and comfort, and what can be done to address this?

7mo trước

Challenges with sexual intercourse in the 3rd trimester mainly revolve around the physical challenges making it more tiring and harder to find a comfortable position. Regarding sexual desire, individual responses to hormonal changes can vary widely. Some pregnant women report increased sexual desire and satisfaction during pregnancy due to heightened sensitivity and other factors, while others may experience fluctuations in desire or discomfort. Open and honest communication with your partner is crucial during this time to ensure both partners are on the same page and comfortable with any changes in sexual activity or preferences.
 If you have concerns or questions about how hormonal changes are affecting your sexual experiences during pregnancy, don't hesitate to discuss them with your healthcare provider. They can offer guidance and address any specific issues or concerns you may have.

Throughout these 9 months, how to maintain intimacy and connection outside of sexual activity with my partner?

7mo trước

As the response to this question does not constitute medical advise, i would suggest that you speak to a counsellor or family therapist about such questions!

What is the role of communication in ensuring a satisfying and comfortable sex life during pregnancy?