Ask the Expert Series: Bleeding in Early Pregnancy - When Should You Worry?

Hello everyone! 👋 As a healthcare professional, I understand that the health and well-being of your newborn is of utmost importance. Hence, I am hosting this session to address your concerns and queries regarding bleeding in early pregnancy. I am Dr Smily Lock, MBBS, MMed (FM), Head of Healthcare Solutions (Chronic and Long-Term Care) at Speedoc.👩‍💼 During this session, I will be sharing insights on bleeding in early pregnancy, whether it is normal and when spotting and bleeding could be a cause of concern.🚨 I will be delighted to share my opinion on how you can best manage your pregnancy. Kindly leave your questions in the comments section below. We will do our best to respond to every question! 💡🗣️ Topic: Bleeding in Early Pregnancy - When Should You Worry? Date: Wednesday, 17th May 2023 Time: 8.00 - 9.00 pm

Ask the Expert Series: Bleeding in Early Pregnancy - When Should You Worry?
17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Are there any specific precautions or considerations I should keep in mind when planning for a vaginal delivery after experiencing bleeding during pregnancy?

11mo trước

Dear user, thank you for your question. In planning for delivery, it will be best to discuss with your gynaecologist on the best mode of delivery (vaginal or c-section) based on the cause of bleeding during pregnancy. Some conditions like placenta previa may require C-section depending on the placenta's position. Do discuss with your friendly obstetrician on the various options for your pregnancy!

Are there specific symptoms or patterns of bleeding during pregnancy that may indicate a higher risk or severity of complications ?

11mo trước

Dear user, thank you for your question! Common causes of bleeding in early pregnancy include miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy and cervical polyps, while causes of bleeding in later parts of pregnancy include placenta previa, abruptio placentae and vasa previa. Any bleeding during pregnancy warrants an assessment by the obstetrician, as the differentiation of the above causes goes beyond just symptoms, and are very dependent on physical examination, laboratory test (B-HCG) as well as pelvic ultrasound findings.

What are the most common causes of bleeding during pregnancy, and how can they be differentiated from more serious complications?

11mo trước

Dear user, thank you for your question! Common causes of bleeding in early pregnancy include miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy and cervical polyps, while causes of bleeding in later parts of pregnancy include placenta previa, abruptio placentae and vasa previa. Any bleeding during pregnancy warrants an assessment by the obstetrician, as the differentiation of the above causes goes beyond just symptoms, and are very dependent on physical examination, laboratory test (B-HCG) as well as pelvic ultrasound findings.

Am in week16 when I experienced bleeding. I was also tested Covid positive on that day. Is that the reason? Or my food intake?

11mo trước

Dear user, thank you for your question! Based on latest evidence to date, an analysis showed that more than 35,000 people with COVID-19 during pregnancy in 2020 showed a higher rate of preterm delivery than the baseline rate of preterm delivery in the United States. In addition, there was a higher rate of preterm delivery among people who were infected during the third trimester compared to people who were infected during their first or second trimester. If you have COVID-19 infection during pregnancy, do inform your obstetrician so that he or she is aware of your condition. With regards to food intake, do avoid certain foods that are not safe for pregnancy such as raw meat, raw eggs, unpasteurised cheeses and yogurt.

Are there any warning signs or symptoms that indicate one should seek immediate medical attention when experiencing bleeding?

11mo trước

Dear user, thank you for your question! Any bleeding during pregnancy warrants an assessment by the obstetrician, as the differentiation of the causes of bleeding in pregnancy goes beyond just symptoms, and are very dependent on physical examination, laboratory test (B-HCG) as well as pelvic ultrasound findings. Specifically, signs that require 'immediate' attention in the accident and emergency department include bleeding with blood clots, intense pelvic pain and fainting or giddiness or low blood pressure (which will signify large amounts of blood loss).

I'm in my 7 weeks had some brown discharge. It's always very mild and not constantly flowing. Should I be worry about this?

11mo trước

Dear user, thank you for your question! Brown discharge is not uncommon in first trimester of pregnancy and usually signifies oxidised blood (or 'old blood'). In such a scenario, do take photos and document the dates that you noticed this and bring it up at your next obstetrician visit.

What are the potential risks and complications associated with bleeding during pregnancy for both the mother and the baby?

11mo trước

Dear user, thank you for your question! Risks of antepartum hemorrhage (bleeding in pregnancy) to the baby include low oxygen for baby, preterm birth, and fetal death. There is also complications to the mother, including bleeding and serious blood clot formations due to imbalance of clotting factors.

What is the role of ultrasound examinations in evaluating and diagnosing the causes of bleeding during pregnancy?

11mo trước

Dear user, thank you for your question! Ultrasound examinations are critical in evaluating bleeding in pregnancy. For example, in the case of placenta previa where the placenta is implanted too near the cervix, the diagnosis is made through ultrasound by measuring the distance between the cervix and the placenta. This diagnosis will seriously affect the obstetrician's decision on the mode of delivery to avoid heavy bleeding during labour.

Can you provide some guidance on when bed rest may be recommended for managing bleeding during pregnancy?

11mo trước

Dear user, thank you for your question! Bed rest duration and frequency will vary depending on the cause of bleeding during pregnancy. For example, in severe cases of placenta previa or placenta abruptio, complete bed rest is often recommended.

Can you explain the potential impact of vaginal exams or sexual intercourse on bleeding during pregnancy?

11mo trước

Dear user, thank you for your question! In any case of bleeding during pregnancy, it is important to avoid sexual intercourse until you have been evaluated by an obstetrician to rule out serious causes. Vaginal examinations should only be done by a medical practitioner, and he or she will decide on whether it is safe to proceed based on his or her evaluation.