Ask the Expert Series: Supporting your children’s mental health

Hello everyone! Excited to “see” you! I am Amber, a Clinical Psychologist. Together with the team at TAP, we would love to help as many of you on your parenting journey Join me at this Q&A session, and drop your inquiries related to your children's mental health in the comment below. Topic: Supporting your children's mental health Date: Monday, 17 October 2022 Time: 8.00 to 9.00pm

Ask the Expert Series: Supporting your children’s mental health
23 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

1) What are the most common warning signs of mental health illness? 2) What is the standard approach to address mental health issues? 3) When is it appropriate to involve a mental health professional? 4) How do you balance mental health concerns while teaching discipline and resiliency to your child?

Read more
2y trước

With regards to the balancing of mental health and discipline, they don’t always have to be either one or the other. In fact, they can be done together! This of course depends on the definition of “discipline”. Punishments are not the only form of discipline, and punishments have been shown to not always be effective. Setting limits, and supporting your child through their disappointments (even with the limits you set) can be more effective to help your child learn better ways to get what they want, which can also help build resilience. Additionally, as a parent, you can also seek support from a professional to help you learn skills to more effectively connect and set limits with your child.

My kid is throwing tantrums when we are in public. But he is a good boy at home. feeling like he is seeking attention. How can I deal with this?

2y trước

It can be very frustrating when your child has tantrums in public because it can make it hard for the family to go about freely. This is tricky. I can’t definitely say that your child is seeking attention, but seeking of attention is not the only reason children can struggle to regulate in public. I would strongly encourage you to seek a professional to provide an assessment to better understand his behaviour, to help your family better manage it.

1. How to identify the child mental health is normal? 2. Is there any course to subscribe for child mental health to be normal?

2y trước

Without referring to any specific age group, an observation of your child’s behaviour patterns could be good ways to help you see if your child is coping. Signs of a child who is coping well would usually be things like a child who’s meeting their developmental, emotional and learning milestones, have healthy social skills and demonstrate an ability to cope well with problems. If you’re located in Singapore, websites like the parent hub on the Health Promotion Board and Families for Life are good sources of information to help meet parenting needs.

My kid is getting angry about small things and screening. Is there any mental condition for him? How can I support him?

2y trước

It can be stressful to have a child screaming over seemingly minor things. It’s hard to say if your child is struggling with any mental illness, and if you notice this behaviour being drastically different from his peers, I would recommend an assessment to better understand his behaviour. Meanwhile, it can be a good idea to observe situations when he’s screaming to help you notice patterns that can help you understand the triggers of his distress. A professional can also help you better understand your observations.

My 5 years old is forgetting things easy. he cannot find his toys or books. Is this a sign of delay in mental growth

2y trước

It can be normal for a 5 year old to forget things at times, however if his difficulties are significantly more than same aged peers, it’ll be good to seek an assessment with a psychologist who works with preschoolers. Besides your observations, you could also gather more information about his challenges from teachers and/or other caregivers.

Super Mom

How to deal with tantrums of older children? Appreciate if you could share some tips to cope up.

2y trước

It can be hard to manage tantrums of older children because they are no longer little, yet not old enough to think through their behaviours rationally. Before dealing with a tantrum, a good first step would be to stay calm. While easy to say, this can be tricky because the behaviours may sometimes not make much sense to an adult! A good level of “calm” would be one where you are able to speak slowly to first connect with your child. You could start off with an observation of their behaviour, followed by a reflection of their emotion, and redirection of the behaviour or further clarification (e.g. I see you throwing your bag because you were angry that your friend pushed you. It is okay to be angry, but not okay to throw your bag. Can I find out more about what happened so we can figure out how to make things better?). You could use this as an opportunity to help your child problem solve through challenges, which can be useful skills for future situations.

My preschooler cannot focus on one work for a few minutes is it a mental issue?

2y trước

Depending on your child’s age, the duration and type of activity, this could be normal, as young children may not have developed the skills needed to pay attention for long, or the activity could be too challenging. However, if you do notice that your child is having more difficulties than his/her peers in staying on task, and you are receiving feedback from teachers about your child’s behaviour, it might be helpful to seek an assessment from a professional.

What should I do if I suspect my child has a mental health condition?

2y trước

You could seek help from a mental health professional if you’re concerned about your child’s mental health. If your child is in school, you can approach his/her Teachers for recommendations. If your child is not of school age, you can approach his/her doctor to express your concerns, and the doctor should be able to help refer your child to an appropriate professional.

How can I improve my child's mental health and emotional well-being?

2y trước

Finding ways to connect with your child, reflecting their emotions, and setting appropriate limits are good ways to help build your child’s coping skills to manage difficult emotions.

How do I know that my child is in good mental health? any signs?

2y trước

Observations of your child’s behaviour, or through feedback from their Teachers could be a good ways to help you see if your child is coping. Signs of a child who is coping well would usually be things like a child who’s meeting their developmental, emotional and learning milestones, have healthy social skills and demonstrate an ability to cope with problems. An example of a child who’s coping well could be a 9 year old child who feels safe to approach his/her parent for help when he/she is having difficulties with a subject in school.