Ask the Expert Series: Supporting your children’s mental health

Hello everyone! Excited to “see” you! I am Amber, a Clinical Psychologist. Together with the team at TAP, we would love to help as many of you on your parenting journey Join me at this Q&A session, and drop your inquiries related to your children's mental health in the comment below. Topic: Supporting your children's mental health Date: Monday, 17 October 2022 Time: 8.00 to 9.00pm

Ask the Expert Series: Supporting your children’s mental health
23 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

What can affect children and young people’s mental health?

2y trước

Like us, there are many different factors that can affect the mental health of youth and children. Genetics, environment, relationships, physical health challenges, life transitions, developmental periods etc are some of the factors that can affect the mental health of children and youth.

Mental illness vs Mental disorder what is the difference?

2y trước

In my understanding, these two terms are often used interchangeably, to indicate the presence of a mental illness.

How can I help my child cope with mental illness?

2y trước

It’s not easy for a parent when their child has been diagnosed with a mental illness. As a first step, encouraging your child to seek professional help would be extremely important. Next, it could be beneficial for you to learn ways to support your child’s difficult emotions, and their use of healthier behaviours in their recovery. The recovery process can often be tiring for the family, and I would strongly encourage parents to seek helpful supports (e.g. friends, support groups etc.) in the journey of healing. In the meantime, finding ways to connect with your child could be helpful to help them know that they are not alone in this journey.

How can parents support kids mental well-being?

2y trước

Thanks for asking this question! Parents are in a great position to support the mental well-being of your children because of the bond you share with them. Finding ways to connect with your child can be a good start. You can do this in simple day to day activities by joining them with curiosity while giving your child space to encourage explorations. When big emotions arise, support your child by helping them reflect on their emotions and challenges. Set appropriate limits whenever required, and most importantly, care for and be kind to yourself in this process 😊. There will be times when we make mistakes as parents, and that is okay, as long as we take responsibility for them, and try again.

How can I take care child with Autism ?

2y trước

t’s not easy managing the needs of a child with Autism, I hope you’re having space for yourself! Is your child enrolled in any intervention programme? Getting support from an intervention programme can be very helpful for the child and family to learn methods to cope with the behaviour, communication and sensory needs of your child.

Thành viên VIP

👍🏼

Thành viên VIP

👍🏼

Thành viên VIP

👍🏼

Thành viên VIP

Thành viên VIP