Gynae recommendations

Hi all, I just found out I'm 5-6 weeks in and am entirely clueless about how to go about selecting my gynae and hospital :( Would appreciate any gynae recommendations + advice. Preferably a gynae that I can do check ups with near tiong bahru area. Where and how do I find out the different hospital charge rates? How did you guys decide on which hospital to deliver at! Please help! ? A very clueless mum to be

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Influencer của TAP

Hi mummy. Here's a rough guide for you before you decide. 1. Your finances situations. Going to government definitely will be cheaper than private. 2. Comfort level on splurging on gynae. Nowadays most hospital charges almost same price. It's the gynae fee that matters. Some gynae in novena Mt e charges 4k for delivery some 5k. 3. What type of gynae you prefers? Female or male? Prefer 10 years experience or 5 years or 20 years? 4. Will hospital matters to you? Most mummy prefer Mt A and Thomson. Cos they are famous for delivery of baby. This is a experience from a friend, lactation guide and helps. What she went thru was Mt A was not so helpful during first baby she eventually go home unsure about breastfeeding and gave up. Her 2nd baby was Thomson they manange to teach her abit. Many first time mom clueless about breastfeeding so we need help. Fortunately Glen e was super good and keep encouraging mummy to bf whenever we can and will offer to help even the nurse. Most importantly you must be comfortable with your gynae and trust him or her. I hope this will help you make you're choice easier. And you can just call each clinic to get the rough figure and ideal how much will you be expecting. I gave birth at Glen E by Dr tham kok fun. You can take into consideration. He's super fatherly and guide me thru my first pregnancy.

Read more
4y trước

Okie will prob check out Dr tham too from Glen e! My first gynae appt will be with Dr Cordelia Han from Raffles. Hopefully all goes well. Thanks for yr advice :)

It depends on whether you want to go subsidised or private. If subsidised, you have to go the polyclinic to get a referral letter, then choose which hospital you want to go. Gynae doesn’t matter cos you can’t choose. Each visit is a different gynae doing your checks. For private, you can choose based on the hospital and look for reviews. After shortlisting a 2-3 at the preferred hospital(s), you can then go and meet them for your first visit, then decide which you like as they may have different styles - some friendly, some stern and brief, etc. You must also ask if they can deliver at your preferred hospital, if you have any preferences. For me, I was fortunate that I didn’t have to do so much work as my mum’s gynae, Dr A L Lim, who delivered me 33 years ago is still in practice, so he was my first choice. His clinic in Thomson Medical Centre and I’m not that particular about the hospital as I believe gynae is more important and luckily, TMC is still quite affordable for private. His charges are quite reasonable as he’s very very senior and experienced. Just a note that subsidised means not every visit will get ultrasound scan - probably first visit and detailed scans at development milestones. However, private usually does scan every visit, except detailed scans cos already scanned so no point to double scan.

Read more
4y trước

Thks for the tips! Have booked my first gynae appt and will be bringing my hubby along :)

Congrats! I’m 6 weeks in, but this will be my #2. For me, my #1 was delivered in Mt A by Dr Geraldine Tan. She practices in both Mt A and TMC. Hence, I am able to wait till a later stage to choose which hospital to deliver in for my #1. My personal experience in Mt A was not too bad, they had complimentary class for breastfeeding for mum and dad. The counselor would do their rounds to check on our breastfeeding stage and if we need help. I would say the Nurses are alright only. However, I also heard many bad reviews about TMC and Mt A.. so I think it really depends on who happened to serve you? As for the charges, it really depends on your comfort level. Before I chose Dr Tan, I asked around for consultation fee and ultrasound fee (since this 2 are the most common charges when you visit the gynae). Hope this helps!

Read more
Super Mom

This is a rough guide on the cost of delivery and review of different hospitals https://www.sassymamasg.com/pregnancy/where-to-give-birth-in-singapore-public-vs-private-maternity-hospitals/ I got a referral from polyclinic to kkh for subsidised rate. Decided there's no need to switch to a private gynae because mine was a normal and uncomplicated pregnancy. The only thing to note about being a subsidised patient is consultation is team-based, so you'll see different MO for every visit - senior consultant for the first visit, that is. Not sure if waiting time is different for public and gynae visits, but mine was quite long wait - expect a few hours for every visit.

Read more
4y trước

Thks for sharing! Very helpful :)

Congrats! For me, I went via the subsidized route at KKH first as you will need checks almost every 2-3 weeks for the first trimester. I got a referral from the polyclinic to KKH. This helped me save cost on ultrasound scans and tests. Afterward, as I found I wanted a more consistent followup with one gynae, I asked my friends and colleagues for recommendations and checked the prices that I'm comfortable with! You might also want to check which private hospitals they will deliver at. Best to start seeing your private gynae by week 12 as some will not accept after that. Hope this is helpful!

Read more
4y trước

Very helpful indeed, thk u!

Influencer của TAP

my decision - a female gynae hb decision - TMC so we searched based on that