Ask the Expert Series: Why Childhood immunisations are important?

Hello everyone! Excited to “see” you! I am Dr. Katrina Heng, Medical Doctor, Pediatrics (Doctor Anywhere). Together with the team at TheAsianParent, we have addressed your concerns regarding your kid's immunisations. ---------------------------- Here are some questions asked in our community, and we got the answers for you ✅ 👩‍💼Can my baby have a vaccine when he has a cold or cough? Do I need to delay the vaccine till he gets well? 👩‍🔬There are instances that would warrant a delay in your child’s vaccination, which will be discussed with you prior to your child’s vaccination or on the day of vaccination. Take for example, an ongoing high fever would be such an instance. I recommend discussing your concerns with your nurse or doctor before coming to a decision together. I hope this helps address your concerns 👩‍💼What are the critical immunizations if we are unable to get every immunization? 👩‍🔬Dear mummy, if you are referring to optional immunizations that could prevent critical illness; this would depend on the exposure risks. For example; if you are planning to travel to a country that is endemic to Measles. Instead of waiting for the vaccination when your child is 12months old, you could discuss your concerns with your family doctor, who would be able to advise you accordingly. There are immunizations against diseases endemic to countries that may be applicable to you and your child, prior to your travels, which can be addressed by your family doctor. In Singapore, most children are recommended to follow the National Childhood Immunization Schedule (NCIS) to protect them against preventable diseases as early and safe as possible. I hope this helps address your concerns. 👩‍💼What are the risk factors if we fail to give immunisations on the date? 👩‍🔬Risk factors inevitably increases one’s chance and risk of catching the illness. By adhering to your child’s immunization schedule, it helps reduce the chance of catching a preventable disease. A few of the preventable diseases have undesireable long term medical consequences, which could be avoided. A good amount of data and research has been put into the planning of these schedules, to protect your child and the community they live in. However, vaccines are not always 100% effective for all children due to various reasons. I would still strongly recommend parents to follow the immunization schedule, as one cannot anticipate unforeseen circumstances that may cause deviations from your child’s immunization schedule. I hope this helps address your concerns.

Ask the Expert Series: Why Childhood immunisations are important?
15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Community user's question: 2nd Month Immunisation Hello, my LO is about to take her 2nd Month Immunisation (Dtap dose 1 + Hep B dose 2) and we will need to fly shortly after for an emergency. I'm not sure if she will experience any side effects after the injection so not sure when to book the flight and if we can fly out on the same day. Any advice please ☹️

Read more
1y trước

Thank you for sharing your question. Common injection site related side effects in children and adults will include redness, soreness or swelling at the injection site. Vaccine reactions or side effects are dependent on the type of vaccine received. When these reactions occur varies between individuals too. These concerns can be discussed together with the nurse or doctor administering the vaccine. However, when in doubt, it would be best to seek medical attention to assess your child should there be a vaccine related medical concern. I hope this helps address your concerns, and wishing you and family safe travels.

what if I miss giving my baby the vaccine on time? Can I give it 1-2 months later? Then what about his next vaccine? Do I have to delay that too?

1y trước

Thank you for your question. There are instances when a child’s scheduled vaccines are missed. This could be because they are unwell with a fever or recovering from Covid given the current endemic state. Once your child’s fever has resolved, their vaccination should be arranged at the next earliest opportunity; within 2 to 3 days from recovery so as to not delay your child’s immunization schedule. Have this discussion with your doctor and book the next available slot for your child’s vaccination visit, this will avoid causing delays in your child’s vaccination schedule. There are less common instances, where your doctor will advise you if an interval is needed before your child’s next vaccine. Other times, a catch-up schedule may be prepared for your child if a few vaccinations have been missed or delayed. I hope this helps address your concerns.

How many vaccine baby needs to take from birth to 1 year? What are the important vaccines and what additional vaccines can be given?

Messaged queries Doctor Anywhere regarding the home-based vax package redemption but there was no reply. :(

1y trước

Hi Alyssa, let me check with our ops team and will get back to you!

Can my baby have a vaccine when he has a cold or cough? Do I need to delay the vaccine till he gets well?

1y trước

Dear Vindis, thank you for your question. There are instances that would warrant a delay in your child’s vaccination, which will be discussed with you prior to your child’s vaccination or on the day of vaccination. Take for example, an ongoing high fever would be such an instance. I recommend discussing your concerns with your nurse or doctor before coming to a decision together. I hope this helps address your concerns.

My baby become very sleepy after immunization injection. Do i need to wake her up for milk?

1y trước

Thank you for your question about your baby’s experience after her immunization. Keeping your child comforted by nursing or soothing actions will make them feel more at ease after their vaccination visit. I would recommend waking your baby up for their milk feeds; which could be as often as every 2-3 hours for exclusively breastfed infants. I hope this helps address your concerns.

My baby gets a fever after each vaccine. Is it a red flag? Is there any way to avoid it?

1y trước

Dear Nadeesha, thank you for your question, your 2 boys are loved very dearly. Fever is a measured body temperature that is more than 38 degrees Celsius, using a ear or oral thermometer. Unfortunately, there are different causes of fever in children; in some instances, it could also be a symptom of an ongoing infection. When in doubt, it would be best to seek medical attention to assess your child for any treatable medical condition. Using loose fitting clothing, having the air conditioning switched on, may help your child feel more comfortable after their vaccination visit. I hope this helps address your concerns.

My baby has rashes after the immunization. Is this normal. this is 3rd day.

What are the critical immunizations if we are unable to get every immunization?

1y trước

Thank you for sharing your concerns here. Dear mummy, if you are referring to optional immunizations that could prevent critical illness; this would depend on the exposure risks. For example; if you are planning to travel to a country that is endemic to Measles. Instead of waiting for the vaccination when your child is 12months old, you could discuss your concerns with your family doctor, who would be able to advise you accordingly. There are immunizations against diseases endemic to countries that may be applicable to you and your child, prior to your travels, which can be addressed by your family doctor. In Singapore, most children are recommended to follow the National Childhood Immunization Schedule (NCIS) to protect them against preventable diseases as early and safe as possible. I hope this helps address your concerns.

What are the risk factors if we fail to give immunisations on the date?

1y trước

Dear Ryan F, thank you for your question. Risk factors inevitably increases one’s chance and risk of catching the illness. By adhering to your child’s immunization schedule, it helps reduce the chance of catching a preventable disease. A few of the preventable diseases have undesireable long term medical consequences, which could be avoided. A good amount of data and research has been put into the planning of these schedules, to protect your child and the community they live in. However, vaccines are not always 100% effective for all children due to various reasons. I would still strongly recommend parents to follow the immunization schedule, as one cannot anticipate unforeseen circumstances that may cause deviations from your child’s immunization schedule. I hope this helps address your concerns.