Ask the Expert Series: All About Sex During Pregnancy

Hello everyone! 👋 During pregnancy, couples often have questions regarding sex and intimacy. I am delighted to be hosting this session to address your concerns when you are going through this exciting phase. I will offer you with insights about practices for safe sex during pregnancy and precautions you should note of. I am Dr Peter Wang, MBBS Anchor Doctor at Speedoc. Kindly leave your questions in the comments section below. We will do our best to respond to every question! 💡🗣️ Topic: All About Sex During Pregnancy Date: Wednesday, 27th September 2023 Time: 8.00 - 9.00 pm

Ask the Expert Series: All About Sex During Pregnancy
33 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Can previous miscarriages or fertility issues impact a couple's approach to sex during pregnancy?

I was diagnosed with PCOS prior to getting pregnant. Is it safe to have sex after the first trimester?

8mo trước

PCOS itself does not typically impact a woman's ability to engage in sexual activity during pregnancy. However, do consult your healthcare provider if you have any other associated risk factors that might put your pregnancy at a higher risk.

What are the emotional and psychological aspects of maintaining a healthy sex life during pregnancy?

8mo trước

As the response to this question does not constitute medical advise, i would suggest that you speak to a counsellor, psychologist or family therapist about such questions!

How can my partner and I have sex safely when we are expecting? What if there is some bleeding?

8mo trước

Some women may experience spotting or light bleeding after sex during pregnancy. This is usually due to increased blood flow to the pelvic area and the sensitivity of the cervix during pregnancy. However, if bleeding is present, it is crucial to contact your healthcare provider without delay to rule out any other underlying issues that could threaten the pregnancy.

Are there any benefits of engaging in sexual activity during pregnancy for both of us?

Which trimesters are safer and which tri is more challenging to engage in sexual activity?

8mo trước

Sexual desire during pregnancy can vary significantly from one person to another and can also change throughout the different trimesters of pregnancy. It's important to remember that there's no one-size-fits-all answer, as each individual's experience is unique.

It's essential for both partners to communicate openly about their desires, concerns, and comfort levels during pregnancy. Ultimately, the key is to prioritise mutual understanding, emotional connection, and the well-being of both the pregnant person and their partner. Consulting with a healthcare provider can provide personalised guidance regarding specific challenges and address any medical concerns.

Are there any risks or benefits with using sex toys or lubricants during pregnancy?

Are there specific positions that can help pregnant women improve their sexual experience?

8mo trước

Sexual experiences during pregnancy can vary greatly from woman to woman and can change throughout different stages of pregnancy. It's important to remember that every pregnancy is unique, and individual preferences and comfort levels play a significant role in sexual activity during this time. 

In general, positions that reduce pressure on your abdomen would likely be more comfortable. Some tips to consider would be to use pillows and cushions to help support your body and relieve pressure on your abdomen. Slowing down and focusing on sensual and emotional connection rather than rushing into intercourse may also be helpful. Do stop and seek advise from your healthcare professional if you experience any pain, bleeding, or discomfort during sex. As you can see there isn’t really any one size fits all approach and open and honest communication with your partner is crucial. Discuss your desires, concerns, and any discomfort you may be experiencing.

Is there any diet or lifestyle factors that can influence sexual desire during pregnancy?

8mo trước

You should generally try to lead a healthy and healthy and balanced lifestyle to support overall well-being, which can, in turn, impact your sexual desire and satisfaction. This would include eating a well balanced diet, exercising, and staying hydrated.

Do cultural or religious beliefs affect a couple's perspective on sex during pregnancy?

8mo trước

Great question. However, as the response to this question does not constitute medical advise, i would suggest that you speak to your religious leader regarding this.