Confinement

1. Mummies, how long was your confinement and how long you waited before you wash your hair? Anything to share regarding confinement that you believe is effective or useful?

26 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mom

I didn’t do confinement (personal choice). Washed my hair from the day after delivery (in the hospital). My husband’s a stay at home dad, so we did everything ourselves. During the first month, your body is healing (whether vaginal delivery or C section), so if anyone can help you and if you’re okay with that, accept the help. If you’re planning to breastfeed, it’s not easy for most of us. Don’t stress yourself out about it. Latch on demand, enjoy the bond, and top up with formula if the supply’s not meeting the demand yet. That gets rid of jaundice faster, and you’re less stressed, baby’s less angry and your nipples are less cracked from angry sucking. Once the supply comes in and baby sucks properly, there’s no pain and it’s a lovely way to bond with baby. If you do breastfeed, drink loads of fluids (3L/day), whether soups or tea or water. If you’re planning to exclusively pump or only give formula, that’s perfectly fine too. Be at peace with your decision:) You’ve probably heard this a lot... sleep when baby sleeps. At least for the first month, do it. Your body needs to heal. You’ll still be in pain or feel discomfort somewhere. Housework can be pushed back (someone else should do it). For meals, if you have someone cooking for you, great! Otherwise, consider ordering in confinement food. It is way too tiring to navigate through your first month as a mother and also need to worry about cooking. For baths, do whatever you believe in.. whether it’s not bathing or bathing with herbs or bathing with water. For me, I bathed with warm water, shampoo and soap since day 1 after both my pregnancies. I’m happy with my decision:) There will be many moments of distress when you cannot understand what your baby needs, or why your baby keeps crying, but remember that baby was very secure while inside you, and now it’s extremely scary to be out. The only mode of communication is to cry. So hang in there, be patient with baby, and don’t stress out yourself. Keep cycling through baby’s needs (milk/diaper change/sleep or tiredness/fear and insecurity). One of them is the correct answer. I promise you, there are even more moments of joy and love than distress in this journey of parenthood.. so take the time to enjoy it and savour it. All the best!:)

Read more