Is it okay for my wife that is 20+ weeks pregnant to go snorkelling? Anyone have good advise?

24 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I think better not as even an experienced snorkeler cannot control what happens at sea. I used to actively dive and snorkel, and there was this one time I was stung by a jellyfish (not yet pregnant at the time). Jellyfish is transparent and the tentacles were more than 3m long, impossible for me to see and avoid them, especially in low visibility. I felt a sharp pain in my legs and they immediately went cramp. I couldn't control my movements in the current or swim. Luckily hubby was nearby and pulled me back to the boat. It was a first and definitely wake up call to the dangers of a simple snorkeling activity. Wouldn't wish it on anyone let alone a pregnant lady. Not worth risking your baby for.

Read more

Hi, I think, whether it is advisable for your wife to do it or not is something that her doctor would be able to advise considering how her pregnancy has been till now. As in if she was active and was not having any complication and doing fine. Personally, I do not think I would have been brave enough to try any new sport that I may not have done. I mean, why to take a chance, when you have all the time in the world after you have delivered? But if you think, you should accompany your husband in doing so, I suggest, you must consult your doctor for sure.

Read more
8y trước

Thank you for the advise! After deep thoughts, i also feel that we shouldn't risk it during pregnancy :)

Snorkeling is fine as is swimming as long as she doesn't over exert herself and the Gynae says it is fine. But definitely no diving because of the depth and water pressure. If your wife has been quite active before and during pregnancy and so far no complications and no signs of fatigue and breathlessness it should generally be fine and even be a stress buster for her :) however as snorkeling expose her to the sun try not to do it in midday and remember to ask her to take fluids breaks.

Read more
8y trước

Thank you! I'm gonna showing this to my wife and hope she have a peace of mind 😁 she's worried that she can't do certain activities while we're having our holiday 😂

As long as she did it often before pregnancy. Pregnancy is not a gd time to try new sports.. I'm not a very paranoid person but in the event of an unexpected turn of events, an amateur has little knowledge of how to react n thus endangering 2 lives :) but if she is very confident , go ahead n don't worry her too much about it.

Read more
8y trước

Yeahhh! Thanks for the advise! I'm quite afraid of Murphy 😱

I would discourage it. I experienced cramps in my legs when I was pregnant and went swimming, and I never had cramps before I got pregnant. You never know if your body is the same as before, so I would err on the side of caution. However, I would think snorkeling at a shallow area is safe.

I personally feel its up to individual.. snorkelling is similar to swimming. Your floating, unlike diving.. I see caucasians doing it, I guess it's up to you. For me I feel it's fine, away for babymoon and will be more than happy to see some fishes! ;)

Read more
Thành viên VIP

Do check with the gynae :) He or she will be able to advise. I am highly active during my pregnancy. But better to be safe than sorry. Gynae knows it best!

To be safe ask your doctor, to be thoughtful to your unborn baby, please don’t risk, anything could happen underwater. Swimming is good.

As long as its smthg that she has tried before and familiar with. If not, then its not advisable to try smtg new

No, what if met with strong currents or stung by jellyfish? Better be safe than sorry