Brown discharge at 6 weeks

Hi, I had conceived through IVF and had an ultrasound the past Tuesday and saw the embryo's heartbeat. I'm somewhere at week 5 going on week 6. What has been concerning was that I've been having brown discharge almost daily, sometimes when I do big business, and sometimes a trickle spotted on my panty liner. I've read up on this, and it seems like if it doesn't turn red, it's still normal. I don't have cramps either. But this morning, the amount I saw on my liner was of a larger amount than usual and that startled me. I'm afraid if this is an early sign of miscarriage... I'm going to try and get an earlier appointment to go in for ultrasound again, but in the meantime, can't help overthinking. Has anyone had similar experience before? #advicepls #firsttimemom

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I conceived through IUI. And I had brown discharge at week 5-6 too. Went to kkh urgent o&g and they checked my cervix opening but luckily everything was normal. Doctor put me on duphaston 3x a day but other than that nothing more. I was also put on bed rest MC by gynae. So my suggestion is to reduce walking and standing too much. If you’re really concerned with the amount/ color (if changes to red) then don’t wait and go get it checked out straightaway to be safe because we really tried hard to conceive. My entire check + consultation at kkh urgent o&g came up to less than $150. At 28 weeks today and baby is doing well. The discharge also stopped around mid-end week 6 for me and never came back. So pls try to be abit more careful.

Read more
11mo trước

Super glad you got it checked! Try to rest in bed and not move about too much. My progesterone was also upped to 3x (initially only taking 2x a day from my IUI treatment). I realized my spotting gets worse when I’m out and about walking. So I stopped going out for awhile and only rested at home for 2 weeks or so. Eventually the spotting went away and never came back. Hope your spotting have stopped by now.

I had similar symptoms at w5/6 too, went to KKH urgent o&g even though I didn’t have other pains cos was concerned being my first pregnancy… they only prescribed duphaston which you’re on. Mine wasn’t considered normal, it was a hematoma diagnosed by my gynae (not detected at KKH😅) so I had a shot too and actually mostly just had to rest. So minimize walking and standing for now :) it cleared up in 2 weeks. Hopefully yours is just old blood but just rest more in the meantime! Hope everything goes smoothly for you!!

Read more
11mo trước

thanks for your advice! Will see if I can go urgent O&G just to seek reassurance.. it's kinda worrying

Hi, Brown discharge is normal in early pregnancy. I had it around 6 to 7 weeks but I immediately updated my gynae and she prescribed Dhuphaston after which the discharge stopped. Mostly brown discharge is because of the old blood that starts coming out but please consult your gynae asap so that they can take necessary action to help you with healthy pregnancy. Hope this helps mama! Stay strong and be positive. All will be well :)

Read more
11mo trước

thanks for sharing on your experience! I do hope mine's the case too.. but yes, will consult the hospital as I'm already taking duphaston 🥺

see your doc immediately. take pic of it to show your doc. better to be sure esp since is thru ivf . i had discharge too like brownish clamps from the vaginal insert gel crinone and thought its normal.end up gynea increased my progestrone level and gave progestrone injection to stablise. but no red bleeding is good. just to be safe.. better to check and ask.

Read more
11mo trước

thank you for sharing.. I'll try to seek medical attention as soon as I can and get it checked out 🥺

I also had brown discharge in 1st & 2nd trim but mine was only a one time thing and baby is fine. I would honestly still advise to go to any private gynae or hospital a&e if it prolongs. Atleast they can prescribe you duphaston to strengthen the womb. Normal for one person can be not normal for another.

Read more
11mo trước

thanks for your advice! yes, I'll try to get kkh's EPAU to see me tomorrow. hesitant to go into urgent O&G cos other than the discharge, I don't have any pains, and they attend more to acute issues. I'm already on progesterone (duphaston) twice a day cos that's what they prescribe all ivf conception.. just really hope I can get their attention tomorrow for an assessment, but thanks for assuring

brown discharge is very normal.