My friend gifted me a music DVD which claims to make baby sleep better. It has Spa like relaxing music inspired by classical Indian musical instruments such as Flute. Does it really help Baby sleep better when he can barely protest if he doesn't like it vs no music ?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Found an interesting article online with regards to lullabies, music and their effects on babies. Not about the music you described but i reckon it's relevant. This paragraph strikes me the most: "We know without having to be told that something very atavistic is going on here. A lullaby establishes a soothing correlation between an infant’s physiology, its state of mind, and the outside world. This is necessary because the infant’s first awareness of the world is of something bafflingly separate. It’s huge and threatening, a “great, blooming buzzing confusion”, as the philosopher William James described it." Whether or not baby knows what's happening, music does have an effect in terms of easing anxiety, pain and does a great deal in lulling babies to sleep. I suppose that's why in every culture, music and lullabies exist to soothe babies to sleep. As an adult, it still does, so why not a baby:) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/classicalmusic/10412984/Why-lullabies-really-do-send-babies-to-sleep.html

Read more