Hi mummies .. my boy is 9 weeks old and im training him to sleep through the night. Past 2 nights, he ate at ard 1am and slept till abt 7am. However, he did wake up abt 2 or 3 times in the middle of the night and we just gave him the pacifier (he didnt slp with pacifier after the feed) and he did not protest for milk, continued to sleep. Is it ok for us to use pacifier to lengthen his sleep this way?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Thành viên VIP

Hey mummy, there are a million ways to do parenting and neither is right/wrong - although I personally don't believe in sleep training, I don't think there's anything wrong if you believe in it. However, 9 weeks old is probably way too early to start - especially since their stomachs are really small at this stage and they are still very dependent on you. Would probably advise you to feed him on demand, even if he does wake up several times at night - while some babies are able to sleep through the night early, most don't do so until they're at least 9-12 months old! Yes, sleeping through the night would be better for us as parents, and it'll let him have adequate rest too - you could also just let nature take its course, he will sleep through when he's ready but right now, I think he needs you and his feeds more :) Milk is his only source of nutrients now so not feeding on demand may limit his nutrient intake and cause dehydration because that's also his only source of fluid too. You can get back to sleep training maybe when he's 5-6 months old or so, but 9 weeks old is probably way too early :)

Read more