Hi mummies .. my boy is 9 weeks old and im training him to sleep through the night. Past 2 nights, he ate at ard 1am and slept till abt 7am. However, he did wake up abt 2 or 3 times in the middle of the night and we just gave him the pacifier (he didnt slp with pacifier after the feed) and he did not protest for milk, continued to sleep. Is it ok for us to use pacifier to lengthen his sleep this way?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Thành viên VIP

Hey mummy, there are a million ways to do parenting and neither is right/wrong - although I personally don't believe in sleep training, I don't think there's anything wrong if you believe in it. However, 9 weeks old is probably way too early to start - especially since their stomachs are really small at this stage and they are still very dependent on you. Would probably advise you to feed him on demand, even if he does wake up several times at night - while some babies are able to sleep through the night early, most don't do so until they're at least 9-12 months old! Yes, sleeping through the night would be better for us as parents, and it'll let him have adequate rest too - you could also just let nature take its course, he will sleep through when he's ready but right now, I think he needs you and his feeds more :) Milk is his only source of nutrients now so not feeding on demand may limit his nutrient intake and cause dehydration because that's also his only source of fluid too. You can get back to sleep training maybe when he's 5-6 months old or so, but 9 weeks old is probably way too early :)

Read more

I think I need to wake up ur idea about sleeping through the night. Sorry if I sound rude but at 9 weeks it is not anywhere a good time to train baby to sleep through the night. The best that they can ever manage is prob 5 hrs. But baby is too small and has a small stomach so it is natural to wake and ask for milk. Giving pacifier and settling him w it is not a sign that it is ok. Some babies can be coaxed to sleep but pls feed the baby! They need milk to grow and will have a few growth spurts in the first few months of their life so don't just think abt lengthening the sleeping time because it is not in line with their growth and development

Read more

Poor baby. Got starved. New parents need to get educated about sleep training and stop setting unrealistic expectations. My MIL taught me cruel methods like letting the baby cry to sleep, don't feed the baby immediately cause need to let him wait, put him on the belly till he's tired and will fall asleep. A load of uneducated advice. It is not right to let your baby think that the pacifier is the answer to his hunger. One day, he will just suckle and stop asking for food.

Read more
7y trước

No shaming? Look at your choice of words. There's shaming connotation in them for sure. Just because you may have read more articles about parenthood doesn't make you more knowledgeable and gives you the right to put people down. Stop feeling that you are the only one who know how to care for a baby!

Thành viên VIP

For a 9-week-old newborn, feed on demand, mum. He needs all the milk he can get! Sorry, but you will have to wake up every 2 hours to feed. Such is the nature of a newborn. And you have to let him know that his needs are being met because emotionally - that will help build a foundation of love and care in him, as well as trust. You want your baby to trust and love you. So please, I say again, feed on demand.

Read more

Baby is 9 weeks old a little too early to teach him to sleep the entire night. Please feed him. Their tummies are small and can only take so much

Thành viên VIP

baby is still young. they need milk to grow. i would recommend you to feed milk. They will sleep thru the night when they are eventually ready

7y trước

Please feed the baby as he is only 9 weeks old .. he needs milk to grow strong n healthy ...

I would feed the milk. Baby is too young. They will sleep through the night when the time comes

Listen to the baby & let nature take it's own course..