Changing Job During Maternity Leave

Hi all, my maternity leave at the current company is ending in 2 weeks. I just got a new job offer and would like to change job. Has anyone been in the same situation? Would it be possible if I don't come back to the current work or do I still have to serve 1 full month notice period after coming back? I just feel like I already handed over my work prior to the maternity leave and they're used to not having me there already, then I just come back for a short while to catch up and then leave again. Feels a bit weird. If possible I'd just like to take annual leave until my next job starts so I get a bit more time with the little one. Would it be allowed? And do you think it's irresponsible to do so?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, I feel that you should at least have a talk with your current employer and informed them about your situation. Sometimes it might seems like you are not needed but actually you are indeed needed for some other plans when you are back from your leave. Maybe after talking to your current boss, you can give them a resignation letter and move on as according to your employment contract.

Read more

Hi, it depends on what is stated in your contract with current employer. Since you have got a job offer, perhaps you could ask if you can join them after serving your notice? Do remember that your prospective employer will also be observing how you handle this situation.

Thành viên VIP

I suggest to have an honest conversation with your current employer. It’s a little unfair to them for you to resign suddenly towards the end of your maternity leave when they are probably anticipating you returning.

Dear mum, It is better to first have a straight conversation with your current employer, as otherwise it doesn't seem fair to just leave your current organisation

Thành viên VIP

Pretty sure you’re going to have to still serve your notice period. Otherwise you ought to pay the company back for the one month notice you didn’t serve.