Starting new job but found out to be pregnant before start work

Hi Mummies, I just found out I’m 9 weeks pregnant and going to start a new job in 2 weeks. I wasn’t pregnant during interviews and accepting the offer back in late December hence I’ve tendered and been serving notice while waiting to join new company in mid Feb. *I have married 2.5 yrs and this is not a plan pregnancy so somehow it’s still a happy thing but kinda stuck due to the current situation where I’ll be switching to new job soon. Wondering if I should inform the new employer now or just tell them on the 1st day? Appreciate mummies who had similar experience to share your advice. Thank you! #1stimemom #advicepls

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hello, I haven’t been in similar situation but if I were you, I would not feel bad or guilty first and foremost. getting pregnant is something women are biologically made to go through, we have the equipment inside us 😂 also, MOM protects employees very well, so your company will have no grounds to discriminate or make you resign just because you’re pregnant. I would not choose to reveal so soon unless I’m very confident the baby development is stable, which is usually after 12/13 weeks. However if during this first trimester you feel like your health and energy level cannot keep up with the demands of the job, then you may consider letting your manager know to get his/her understanding of your situation and cut you some slack meantime. Anyway, by time you start new job you’ll be 11 weeks pregnant already. There is only 2 weeks left to hitting 13 weeks by then. So I don’t see a need to reveal immediately when you start work. This is just my opinion (from a HR background myself). All the best!

Read more
2y trước

Thank you so much for your advice! In fact I really don’t quite comfortable about informing before 12weeks. But worried the new company may doubt my integrity 😂

I am having the same dilemma now. I didn't know Abt the pregnancy until I accepted the offer. by the time I put my 1 month notice I am already towards my 2nd trimester. I know this post was posted 8 months ago, so I really hope to hear how did you handle the situation and how the new company react

in a similar situation too and would like to hear about sharing. BTW, do typical pre employment check ups require blood test or xrays? just worried that it may harm the baby

2y trước

yes. mine require xrays. and yes pregnant cannot take x-rays tests.