How many words should a 17 month old boy say at that age? My baby can only say a few words like papa, mama, bird, etc. My daughter was talking much more at that age.

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Just as what everyone is saying, every baby develops differently. In general, language skills start developing between the ages of one and two. Any form of communications, such as babbling, pointing to an object, responding to your comments, indicates that he/she is beginning to understand what is said to him/her (even though he/she is not using actual words to communicate with you). My nephew only started talking (in languages that we could understand) at around 15 months. Prior to that, it was clear that he could understand us and was blabbering in his own baby language, but he just refused to “converse” with us. He respond to us calling his name by looking over but just refuse to answer or even call his parents. Now, however, at almost four years of age, we can’t get him to stop talking. ;p Don't be too worried. He is probably learning from your conversations right now. Toddlers are always observing and learning from the things happening around them.

Read more
Thành viên VIP

Usually a child of about 12 mons old can say 1-2 simple words and will really take off by 18mons when they can say about 20 words according to the references below. To help your child grow her vocabulary, try to remember what you did to your 1st daughter that probably helped her do better in speech i.e. chatting with your child (try not to literally baby talk), using new words (descriptive words for like objects she can see), naming photos in illustrations like in books, asking questions as you read to her. Keep in mind that her vocabulary develops over time and the skills to pronounce words. Be encouraged and don't stress yourself comparing. Different child, different pace of development. ;) http://main.zerotothree.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ter_par_1224_language

Read more

Agree with the mummies above, development for each child varies. There is not guidelines to how many words each child should speak at age. I just went through the 18 months assessment and I had the same concern as my child could only say a few words like 'Ah Ma' 'Ye Ye' 'Yellow'. She could not even say the basic words like 'papa' or 'mama'. However, the doctor did not see this as an issue but advice to spend more time repeating the words to the child and get them to speak up. Don't get too worried mummy!

Read more

I believe that kids develop at very different paces. On average kids seem to prefer nouns at first, then gradually add verbs and adjectives. He'll experiment with one-word questions, like "milk?" for "May I have milk?" and love saying "No!" Toddlers at about 19 to 20 months have a "language explosion." After months of slow progress, they suddenly start to learn words at a ferocious rate, as many as nine a day.

Read more

It varies a lot from each kid. My daughter wouldn't even speak when she was 2 years old and only started talking at 2.5 years onwards. My son on the other hand is 7 months old and is already constantly calling me and going "Mamamamamamamamama" each time he sees me. He doesn't do that to anyone else so I assume he knows what and who Mama is.

Read more

My 17m can only manage a few words too. Initially I was worried that she is a slow learner but I have learnt to walk in her pace and follow her momentum instead of the other way round. Of course, we should continue to encourage them to speak more. I take opportunity such as a simple bus ride to teach her words.

Read more

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-3560)

Its hard to gauge. Kids develop at their own pace. My son is 3 and he barely says anything as well. I would say to let your lo develop at her own pace. Keep talking to her and encourage conversations.

Thành viên VIP

My baby is 16 months and these are the words she can say: Dog Hi Up Bubble Duck More Milk No Mama Papa Nana (grandpa) Nani (grandma) Yaya (helper)

Read more