Epidural Pain Management

Does epidural really works when it comes to pain management? Am thinking of natural birth but am afraid to go through the pain during labor.. which gynae would you recommend for natural birth? Thanks

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I had epidural for all my 3 kids as i am afriad of pain. It helped me to rest, before i gave birth and also helped me to dilate faster. So instead of all the intense pain from contraction, you can at least rest before you gave birth. You actually dilate faster when you are relaxed. For my 2nd kid and 3rd kid child birth, after 1 to 2 hour of having epidural, my dilation from 7cm (for my 2nd child) and 5cm (for my 3rd child), it dilate to 10cm. Even though i can feel the contraction, but it is not as intense as compared without epidural.

Read more
2y trước

I basically relaxed and do not need any laughing gas after epidural. But while waiting for epidural, i was on laughing gas all the time, thus can't give you much tips. But if you can torelant pain, you can try breathing exercise. As for some mummies, it do helps a littlr in managing contraction pain, but i have no experience in this.😅

For me it’s laughing gas during contractions then epidural after that = painless labour. I was too high on gas and epi to even feel the needles and all. Do note that you have to reach a certain dilation in order for them to give you epidural. Not really sure how many cm tho.

2y trước

Yup! I was high on gas then they gave me epidural (I rmb I was so high that my anaesthetist told me pls don’t roll off the bed while injecting the epidural ahahah), IV insertation after epidural. Because of my fear of needles, I didn’t go for GD test, neither did I opt for any whooping cough or flu vaccination. I only went for my vaccinations (for covid cause I need to be fully vaccinated to give birth at TMC) and Oscar (1 blood test) which was damn painful 🥲 No I don’t think they gave me any cream, just the normal ‘wipe’ before they insert the needle. Whatever is it just hug the laughing gas before contractions gets intense, then tell them you want epidural. The rest you can’t feel already. I was hugging the pipe even after epidural 😂

Definitely worked for me and so glad I took epidural. Laughing gas on the other hand was useless. I was still able to feel the pain even while feeling high. It just made me really drowsy and thirsty, haha. Epidural can be administered once you're 3cm dilated.

epidural does not works for all. it depends on individual but as compare to laughing gas epidural has a higher rate of success. and it definitely works for me. contractions pain is hell.

2y trước

yes can

I took epidural at 7cm thou i was hoping to go without. Laughing gas made me feel terrible but with epidural i couldnt feel anyting

2y trước

Yup. But it may work differently on different pple. I was lucky no side effects since immediately after birth i told them i wanna eat can anot 😂🙈

Epidural really works for me. It allowed me to rest before pushing because the contractions at 4cm is crazy.

2y trước

Thanks for the response :) appreciate it!

Thanks for the assurance! Any Gynae that you would recommend? 😊