Do you allow other family members to get in the way when it comes to disciplining your kids?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, I do not allow anyone when I am talking to the baby. I feel when one person is talking to the child on something then no one should budge in between lending advice. And if that family member thinks that I am missing on some major point then he may talk to the child later, but not when I am in conversation with the child. Apart from me, my husband also takes the onus of discipling my kid. And once in a while when she is being very naughty, my in-laws tell her to behave, but not on regular basis. They rather address the problem to me, so it is basically my husband and me who take things forward.

Read more

If the main caretaker is my family member then yes. But they should not interfere when I am disciplining my baby but rather talk to me after that. But if it is other family members who are not main caretaker I will not like it. But it is very hard to tell this to them. I will give a black face so they will know and stop

Read more

No. My child, i gave birth. Simple as that. Perhaps after whatever the situation is, then we can discuss again. Id still listen and consider, really depends on who though.

No. My child is my responsibility especially when it comes to disciplining them. However, that does not mean i won't listen to advice coming from family and friends.

As long as they don't get very in your face about it, of course. Parenting can sometimes be very subjective, and an outside perspective is sometimes needed.

I can listen to their advice but it doesn't mean I have to follow what they say. It's still my judgement what's good for my children or not.

I plan to let them participate in disciplining my child, but of course, my rules and preferences should be followed. My child, my rules. :)

They can correct my child like saying "that's not good". But they are not allowed to spank/pinch or punish my child.