OSCAR or NIPT

My wife is currently 8 weeks pregnant and we were in a dilemma when asked to choose to do either OSCAR (~$350) or Panorama (NIPT) (~$1,100 - 1, 550). Prices are private rate from Thomson Women's Clinic. Dr did suggest to do the NIPT and the neck measurement for a more comprehensive test. Any advise will be helpful. TIA. Edit: Thanks everyone for your advice. Will update soon again. #1stimepregnancy #firstbaby #advicepls

OSCAR or NIPT
41 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Thành viên VIP

It really depends, my gynae recommended OSCAR as he reckoned that I am considered not that old (30 years old) and I do not have any unhealthy lifestyle habits or serious genetic family history. Also both OSCAR and NIPT are just gonna give you a ratio and relative risk, the results of both OSCAR and NIPT are not definitive, it is just that NIPT is deemed more accurate because it has less cases for false positives (but it is also not 100% accurate). In the end, I just tooK OSCAR. I actually have a friend who ended up not taking any of the tests because she said such indefinitive results (i.e. low risk, high risk, borderline risk) will just leave her in high anxiety, with more questions like "how low is low? Still possible to get it right?" so she rather not do it as she knew she wouldn't be able to sleep at night unless the results can tell her for sure what the exact outcome would be.

Read more
3y trước

Nope! I did mine at at thomson :)

Thành viên VIP

Hi if ur wife age 35 + may be have more chances for affect to baby if below 35, no need to worry much but it’s completely depends .. we have done to Oscar .. 90% is fine n 10% chances doc said n referred to nipt again .. but my age is not 35 + so we haven’t done it again .. but it’s completely individual..

Read more

If you can afford, I think NIPT would be better choice. Both my pregnancy, I go for NIPT (1st pregnancy @ 33 and now 2nd pregnancy @ 35). OSCAR is not very accurate and I worry need to do another round of check if result come back not good. Then spend more $$ + will keep worrying bout the OSCAR result.

Read more

For me, my hubby and i did not consider doing oscar due to the accuracy. We took up nipt (igene) because gynae recommended and also because we felt more reliable. Did the comprehensive test which cost 1750 before gst (the diff wasnt big between the basic n comprehensive) so we settled for the latter.

Read more

My husband and I did only the Oscar scan as we don't fall under the high risk category. If you don't fall under the high risk category, maybe you can also just go for the Oscar scan? If the results come back and you feel that it warrants another NIPT, it isn't too late too.

Influencer của TAP

NIPT, cos if u do oscar normally 90% u will need to do NIPT again to ensure the result. Cos we asian got lower nasal bone which end up will hv higher rate of down syndrome result. My friends all experienced the same, so i straight away go for NIPT

Nipt is more accurate and will give u a better peace of mind. I know of friend who did Oscar and had borderline results, in the end gynae advised to go for nipt after that. So might as well just do nipt in the first place. Good luck.

We did Harmony NIPT cos we were really uncomfortable with OSCAR’s accuracy (90% vs 99.9%). You get a detailed scan at Week 20 anyway — so as long as you clear your NIPT you should have a peace of mind ☺️

I did nipt panorama twice and had no results. it was emotional roller coaster and I had to do a amniocentesis. just wanted to share that there is this possibility although it is very rare.

Before going for NIPT, pls make sure get ready insurance and all... My fren done NIPT and found out that one of the result shows high risk... She din manage to get any insurance after that...