Is oral glucose test a must?

21 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes... and that one time I didn't do it , I had a 5kg 11 pound 5 baby who went to special care after being born due to not being diagnosed with gestational diabetes. It's dangerous for baby and mum too. I was considered low risk too. I have it again now and now fully understand how dangerous for baby if blood sugars arnt managed

Read more
Thành viên VIP

Yes, unfortunately. You have to find out if you have gestational diabetes as that can cause miscarriage, higher chance of C-section, high blood pressure or pre-eclampsia. And its effects on baby include preterm birth, injuries during birth, jaundice, temporary breathing problems, and when they're bigger might suffer from obesity and diabetes.

Read more
7y trước

I think ultimately it's up to you whether or not you want to take the test. Nobody can force you. It's routine for doctors to tell you to take the test, but if you don't want to, then they can't force you. Although I don't understand why a mother wouldn't want to take the test to make the necessary precautions in case she tests positive for gestational diabetes.

Thành viên VIP

I don't think it is compulsory but if you meet certain criteria (e.g. weight issues, family history of diabetes, etc) then it is highly recommended to go for it. As Carla mummy mentioned, having GD is a serious matter. I had it and the doc told me that my baby's heart could literally stop if I don't control my sugar level.

Read more
Super Mom

Your blood sugar level can give you a better report. So, please consult a doctor. Oral glucose tolerance test needed when one having over weight, any close family member with diabetes and have high blood pressure.

Thành viên VIP

it's up to you to do it or not, but to be safe for you and your baby, better do it, cos if you happened to have GD you will have the precaution to prevent anything bad happens to you or your baby

Good to have but not compulsory. Skinny people may have GD if they dont control their diet as well. Not neccessarily those with diabetic family history or obese are at risk only

I didn't do it as I did finger prick test and came out low risk. Only had 5.7 about one hour after a heavy meal. Doctor seems OK with it. No history of diabetes though.

I'm going for this test next month... They didn't say is a must or what and just direct inform me for the test on next month

Thành viên VIP

I think it’s important to do it. Just so you know your health and risk of gestational diabetes.

Thành viên VIP

If you are under KKH, it's a must now. Previous year is not compulsory.