My NB is less than 2 weeks old currently on both breastfeeding and bottle feed. In the night she wakes up nearly every hour looking for my nipple just for comfort. My confinement nanny says to use pacifier but somehow I don't feel too comfortable with starting a pacifier so young at her age. Does it matter how old a baby starts sucking on a pacifier?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

please stay away from giving a pacifier, and instead breastfeed your baby instead! your baby is too small so please keep feeding on demand. i know it will be really difficult, but at this age, i breastfed my babies almost all the time. they would barely take an hour's break and ask for a feed again. so do it. rest well and eat well and keep feeding. it's something you will have to go through for 6 months, but please don't get your baby in the habit of a pacifier.

Read more

I am not for the pacifier so I didn't give. People can advise you for all they want on giving this lah.. doing that lah... but if you had in mind already not to intro pacifier..then stick to it. if u had plan to intro later, then do it later. Just feed her on demand as she might be going through a growth spurt. My baby girl went thru a growth spurt when she was abt 3 weeks old. She drank a lot a lot and nonstop during that particular week for for abt 4 to 5 days.

Read more
8y trước

I gave my LO the MAM starter silicone pacifier as young as few days old and she has shown no sign of nipple confusion between pacifier, bottle feeding and DL. My LO is able to differentiate between these 3 items as she will spit out the pacifier when she's hungry! And she knows the pacifier will not be giving her any milk that she needs. Also, when I switch between bottle feeding and DL as early as when she's few weeks old, she is able to differentiate as well. Hope this helps!

Latching is not possible to overfeed because baby requires quite a bit of effort for them to get milk from the boobs. They are v smart and are able to suckle to drink or don't drink Nipple confusion is also quite nonsense (according to a LC) - they will know that the pacifier is not going to be giving them milk and will spit it out if they are really v hungry.my boy had normal nipple, pacifier, nipple shield, bottle - no confusion

Read more

Starting too young with pacifier will cause the baby to have more nipper confusion n reject breast. This is wat happen to my lo. Tried once just about a month old n i took about half an hour to get her back to breast feed. Very scary experience.

For me, pacifier for sanity if the baby is okie to accept. Comfort latch is the last thing you would want It is normal to wake up every 1-2hour at this stage because their stomach is only so small and milk is easily digested.

Sucking on a pacifier at nap time and bedtime might reduce the risk of SIDS. If you're breast-feeding, wait to offer a pacifier until your baby is 3 to 4 weeks old and you've settled into an effective nursing routine.

I never used a pacifier for both my bubs. Not due to anything particular rather its more of a preference. Its direct latch for me and nothing else.

No issue. I gave my Son when he was just few days old and he don’t have nipple confusion. Pacifier is to give them a sense of comfort

Thành viên VIP

Instead of for comfort, ur Nb may be experiencing a growth spurt. It is very common for nb to wake up 1/1.5/2 hrs for milk

8y trước

You cannot "overfeed" her on bm. It is ok to DL her on demand. That is what I did. It is a totally different mother-baby journey and relationship for each one of us. I do not time like 2 or 3hr then I feed her. Jia you and don't worry unnecessarily! Rest well during ur confinement.