Coffee

Hi mums, I'm going back to work soon and probably need my coffee. Is it ok to drink while I'm still BF my child?

25 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes, it is perfectly safe to have caffeine when you're breastfeeding. Though the caffeine you eat and drink does end up in your breast milk, most research suggests that amount is less than one percent of what you ingest. If you do have more than one cup a day, minimise the amount in your breast milk at any one time by spreading your coffee intake over the course of the day or opting for espresso drinks such as lattes that have less caffeine than regular brewed coffee. It's very unlikely that your baby will show any effects from the caffeine you drink. But if you feel strongly that your baby is excessively cranky after you drink coffee, you can try an (admittedly challenging) experiment. Take caffeine out of your diet for a week and see if there is a change in your baby's behaviour. Then put caffeine back into your diet and see if she reverts back to the irritability. If she does, you have your answer. But the bottom line is that your baby is likely unaffected by your daily pick-me-up. So you can enjoy your cup of coffee without worrying about it.

Read more

Yes in moderation and probably a good idea not to drink right before you BF or pump, right after sounds like a better idea

Thành viên VIP

Hi... yes. You can as long as there’s a 3-hours interval between your coffee and breastfeeding/pumping of BM.

Yes in moderation :) perhaps a good idea to drink right after your bf or pump sessions, and not right before

Influencer của TAP

Coffee is caffeine. Not a healthy drink to be drinking for breastfeeding moms.

Yes, in moderation.. dont take too much brew coffee as they are rather strong

Cofee in moderation if fine. But best to drink soy or almond instead

Thành viên VIP

I did drink after pump so the next pump will be 4-6 hours later.

Hi, Yes it is fine, but please have coffee in moderation

Yes it’s fine as Long as you drink in moderation :)