Will using two names confuse my baby

Hello mummies, I call my baby by his English name, while my mother-in-law calls him by his Chinese nickname (also because she can't pronounce his English name). My mother-in-law is the one mostly taking care of him while I’m at work. I’m worried that having two names might confuse him, and he might ended up not respond to his name by a certain age. Mummies do you all call your baby by both real name or nickname? Which name did your baby end up responding to? Any advice for my situation? Should i just follow my MIL and call him by his nickname

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My mil calls my LO by her Chinese nickname (eg xx) till at one point she thought the nickname is my mil and she’s (LO) baby. We only realized that when I asked her to pass nainai something and she couldn’t find nainai when she’s just infront, then she told us “no, she (nainai) is xx”. We have to keep repeating that she is xx and my mil is nainai before she managed to get it. My husband and I calls her baby. Before she enrolled to school, we called her by her English name and she got it (with a few bribery of treats) so now she knows her name and responds to all of it (chinese nickname, English name and baby). She’s 2.5 btw. You can call him by his English name while your mil sticks to his nickname, eventually baby will know both is calling him.

Read more

Won't have any confusion. My in laws also calls my daughter her chinese nickname and my daughter knows her own English and Chinese names since she attends preschool. Don't worry too much ya

I call my boy his nickname, his name in both Chinese, Cantonese, tamil and speak Burmese to him, seem like he understands. I don't think is an issue

Hi mummy not to worry, my mother call my lo by Chinese name, my elder want call lo English name, I call my lo bb, or darling.

I think it's fine. My 1 YO responds to both his English and Chinese name.

Influencer của TAP

call mine with both :)