MIL with her myths etc

Hi all. My MIL is a nice person. She's very caring and helps us out with our newborn whenever we need. However, she has 1001 to- do things which I may not agree. 1. She has this idea of 'sweat it out'. So she always applies hot oil like yu yee (lots of it) and switch off the fan. It is the biggest issue everytime she comes over. Ours is a ceiling fan and we switch it at speed 3, which is mid speed. As the fastest is speed 6. She wants us to switch it off, swaddled our child and apply oil. We even put a blanket on our child. He is know close to 3 months old. Question: is it really good to sweat it out? I mean, our son is with us all the time. So if we switch off the fan, we will sweat too. 😓 it's so frustrating. By the end of the day, our child looks so greasy🥺 she even wants us to let our child wears long sleeve whenever we go out and no fan to be placed on his stroller. Come on, sg is soo hot. Someone enlightens me please this theory of sweat it out. Even during my confinement, I was told to close the windows and no fan. I couldn't take it and shower at night. 2. She wants to introduce nestum to our child soon. Which I strongly oppose. She said we can put half a scoop to his formula feeding before bedtime. This is for him to sleep well? 3. She gave water to my son when he's 2 weeks old. Which again I oppose but I tried to be understanding. Later, I couldn't take it and told her to stop. 4. She likes to ask why my child sometimes is light skin whereas other time he is dark skin? What? That's all moms. Please calm me down.

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hello Mummy! The 3 first points - I completely disagree with what she has done and thinking! We shld be careful especially is a 3 months baby, like ruyi oil.. I asked ard a couple of confinement ladies they said we can’t direct apply cos it will irritate e baby’s skin and might burn it! Why she need to sweat your baby in e first place?! For food, babies less than 6 months can’t drink water was because their stomach are still growing and drinking milk can already make them filling, if u give water it just take up the space and don’t forget about kidney.. Do remind her baby at this age should strictly be on either breast milk or formula only! For point 4 - ask her go check her eyesight! I think Mummy, u need to set your boundaries and share with your hubby on your thoughts and he should go talk to his mum if he don’t then u must step in and remind both of them! You’re your kid mother, if anything happens to him (because of your MIL) do you think she will be going to feel so hurt and taking care of him for life? Be strong Mummy! Fighting! 😊

Read more
2y trước

Yes, please be “heartless” abit more and stand firm telling her what is yes and no! I also did e same just yesterday and I repeated it to my MIL.. I hope she don’t act deaf otherwise my hubby will be in trouble 🙊🤭🙊 Let’s keep fighting mummy anonymous! 💪🏻

I doubt so. It will be worse if bb gets heat rash instead of ‘sweating it out’. Alternatively, if she don’t allow you to switch on the fan, maybe dress bb in cooling clothings (mesh singlets) then. Do you have AC at home? If yes, maybe use the AC instead of fan since hospital also using AC 🤷🏻‍♀️ She probably associated as the fuller the baby, the longer they sleep.. I only fed my bb water at 5.5m (2-3 sips) whereas my mil kept telling me to give bb water at 2m which I told her that giving any water now is just a waste of stomach space. Whatever baby drinks or eats is solely decided by me. Just ignore. My mil used to ask me why my bb darker than me?? Like how do you want me to answer you? It’s not like I can premix her skintone while baking my baby right lol.

Read more
2y trước

Sometimes we really have to be firm towards them. My mil don’t listen until we tell her off or downright ignore her, offended yes but its not really up to our control since you don’t take it the nice way despite us repeating ourselves (变本加厉).. After multiple times she listen.. 😅 Like look, I don’t care how you raised my husband, let me raise mine my way. 😮‍💨

No water please! I know during our time mother's give babies honeyed water when less than 6mths old but babies diegstive is only able to take in milk at this time. Giving water is bad for them! Ask her to put oil all over herself and walk out in Sg weather and see how she feels. Nowadays we are better educated about babies care. she has to understand what is right and wrong. when I had my first child, I corrected my mum on many stuffs. No water untill 6mth. Have to explain to them. and it's your baby! Explain to Ur husband and let him talk to her. Give her articles to read or when you go for check ups bring her along and let the doctor explain to her if necessary hopefully she will understand. Her intentions are good but doing the wrong thing will harm Ur baby.

Read more

Some old folks have their own belief system on how to bring up a baby. For example, my MIL always scold us for not putting on mittens for my baby and keep insisting that her hands are cold. This went on until one day I sent her a video of why we don’t practice this; sensory touch, thumb sucking to self soothe, hot weather, etc. We now have more avenues like YouTube and even TikTok to learn about how to bring up a baby. We are the parent so we take the responsibility. To give us advice would be okay but not to force us if we find it ridiculous.

Read more

I don’t believe in sweating out cos it’s super uncomfortable even for adults, what’s more for baby. For me we’ll always sleep in aircon room even during confinement. I do use yu yee oil for my baby to help with his colic. However, I only applied it on my palm (not spamming), rub it till warm and press lightly on baby’s tummy. Cannot apply directly onto the skin cos their skin is very delicate still.

Read more

going through the same thing . wants my baby to be swaddled all the time if not he will have bowed legs or wont walk prply ... wearing mittens and booties 24/7 .... my baby will wake up w wet hair crying bcause its hot . saddens me . when say smthg they will just say last time tradition blahblahblah ... BE STRONG MOMMY U CAN DO IT !! if u dont like it say smthg ik its v difficult :(((

Read more

Strongly disagree with the first 3! Please stop her and have to be firm (even if it strains relationships unfortunately!) You should have the final say as the mum. Just say that you have consulted a doctor and this is what they say! Trust medical science vs unproven traditional methods 😤

I'll never understand the sweating thing. I HATE it when my kids sweat, hate it when I sweat because after that they're so sticky n smelly n worst of all fussy n have heat rash. I mostly don't even dress my kids at home because it's so hot, or only let them wear sleeveless/meshy clothes

Before your son dies in her hands, stop her IMMEDIATELY. Applying hot oil and then swaddle and no fan? This is torture. Please save your son befire it's too late. You are his mom, not your MIL. Her parenting days are over.

even if her intentions meant well, i would still insist on my way if its too unreasonable and ridiculous. i am the mother of my kid not her. and your husband needs to step up and voice out.