Cheating Husband who makes less money than me

Just found out my husband of 8 years has been cheating on me. I'm devastated but more concerned for the kids - they are 3 and 5, and from every study I have read, divorce is one of the worst things that can happen to a child. I can't bear to do this to them but at the same time, I'm not sure I can ever forgive my husband. I am not financially dependent on him (I actually make more money than him). He is still a great father...I really don't know what to do. Please help.

30 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I grew up literally without my father, his presence in the family was almost non-existent and he was usually not at home. He is a drunk (still is), wife-beater (fortunately not anymore, as my parents divorced when l was 19), womanizer (brought the women home during family function, and she would call daily asking for him), doesn't provide much financially for the family. my mother was pretty much a single parent bringing up 3 children. To add on, my paternal grandmother knew about the affair and sided with my father. My paternal aunt begged him to stop as my mother was pregnant with the youngest then. Growing up, l often envy my cousin's family and imagine it as my own. When parents are not on good terms, children know and they do not forget. We knew the word divorce from a young age and prayed hard that our parents would separate to end our misery. During the divorce, we siblings were separated as we had to seek refuge in friend's house, until my mother secured a place. the youngest in kindergarten had to follow my mother, staying in a friend's place. needless to say there was no alimony or some form of father support. My mother never got married again although she had a few suitors, she is a strong independent woman. During my wedding, my father proposed to my mother. She rejected. I was really thankful for that as l did not wish for her to be subjected to the same misery. We are not close to my father, even though he still comes to my mother's place to see the family. He has this guilt that he will carry with him forever for the way he treated us. Not being divorced would also be equally toxic to the children. I'm sure you do not want your children to be treated by their spouse in the same way. Although my mother does feel that she should have forgiven my father sometimes as she regrets not being able to give us a complete family. But, families come in all different "combination". There are grandparents with grandchildren, single parent type, parents with adopted children and etc. Your children and you deserve better.

Read more