Is it really necessary to do confinement or is it just a Chinese practice?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

In Asia, a lot of other cultures observe confinement practices (eg in Singapore, Malays and Indians). In the West (or atleast I know for sure in Sweden), their version of confinement means getting ample rest, eating healthy and bonding with newborn but without the "pantangs" and superstitions. South American countries have confinement practices similar to Asia's, known as "cuarentena". The issue of confinement is also linked to maternity leave. In some countries, where maternity leave isn't regulated, confinement might not be as widely practised. No matter what the cultural beliefs and legal policies surrounding new mothers globally, one thing is certain: every new mom needs all the help she can get in those first weeks after the birth of a child, which is what I feel confinement is about and why I feel it's necessary. Here's an interesting article about confinement practices around the world: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/care-after-birth-different-moms-different-realities_b_2970981.html

Read more
Thành viên VIP

The elder folks believe that confinement is absolutely necessary in order for the body to recover. However, I found that some confinement rules were difficult to adhere to and didn't make any sense. I amended the rules and did my own confinement. I bathed daily, sometimes twice or thrice a day with confinement herbal water, ordered confinement food delivery and drank lots of red dates and longan tea. I also did jamu massage for 7 days. I also didn't wear socks and walked around a lot, contrary to the rules. I'm feeling fine with no pain or ache in my body.

Read more

I wouldn't say that it is a must but it would be definitely good for you and your body in the long run. Otherwise, the tradition wouldn't stay for generations after generations. For me personally, I was like Jamie. I only did the ones that I felt were making sense and omitting the ones I felt that wasn't nessary (no washing of hair, ekk!). I wore shorts because my house had no aircon, I showered twice a day. But I did have confinement food + post natal massage & tummy wrap. So far, I feel pretty much fine even after 7 years.

Read more

Maybe not a must -- I know alot of moms, local and foreign, who circumvent some of the superstitions or skip the whole process altogether -- but they do use the few weeks after birth to rest, heal, bond with baby and get help from either moms, in laws or a professional care giver. That, in its own right, is a form of confinement.

Read more

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-2710)

thanks