I'm going through a divorce and have a 1 year old son who is still breastfeeding. My husband just told me he wants the custody of my son when he cannot even make clever decisions for him. To him, spending time with his son means lying in bed together and playing iPad / watching YouTube. Do note my husband makes terrible plans and has bad manners such as eating loudly in public and is very lazy. After marriage he gained 20kg due to his lazines within 1 year. The only thing is, he has a high income. He say he will fight with me in court. I am planning to get a full time job and hire a helper to take care of my son so i can take care of us financially. What are my chances of getting full custody?

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi...don’t get me wrong. I’m pro-marriage and do not encourage divorce because we have the child to think for. On the contrary, it also really depends on the circumstances. My personal feel is that if the marriage has irrevocably broken down and both couples are constantly fighting and there’s no trust and love in a home, it’s really not healthy for the child to stay in a family condition “like this” as well. It’s really a decision that needs to be well thought through at all angles and seriously considered especially for the child first. What’s the “end in mind” for your child? No one should judge you if you choose the latter because love, peace and joy are important elements that are needed in the growth of a child and also for ourselves. A child needs a safe and loving home to go back to. On this aspect, when a separation / divorce takes place, a positive and practical co-parenting approach should be considered especially for the growth of the child. Couples don’t have to treat each other as enemies in a broken marriage but rather both you and your spouse could adopt a positive, non-judgmental, practical and respectful method (for your child’s sake) to co-parent your child to benefit the child. Showing him through role-modeling of acceptance, understanding and most of all strength to overcome this transition together with you. Most importantly, prove and assure your child that you and your husband still love him very much and separation is something that you both need to sort out. To the question about child custody, in normal circumstances the child will be with the mother and joint custody will promoted. All best.

Read more