Im 3 months pregnant, should i give up my seat to a late 50s old man whom is standing? While i need to travel long distance and having nausea?

I took bus 66 from little India mrt stn busstop. I'm 3 months pregnant and I was seating inside at the window side. A seat beside me was empty a old age woman 58 plus (from india) came and seat beside me and told me in English to give seat for her husband. I told her I'm 3 months pregnant. She doesnt knows I understand her language she smiled at me and said okay. After that she turn and told her husband she is pregnant. Not even a minute she keep look at my stomach and she look at her husband and said to him as if her stomach is so big she cant stand and give up the seat to you. The husband said it's alright I can stand. I pretended I dont understand like looking through the window. She was totally unhappy and said is it so difficult for her to stand, as if she will deliver her baby right here. The husband kept telling her to stop and it's okay. She continued cursing me. They alighted at Bukit Timah side and I continued my journey. I dont mind giving up my seat if it's a short distance but from little India I need to travel till bukit batok and I cant stand that long having nausea during bus rides. Ps: Her husband is physically fit and doesnt seems so weak. My baby bump can be seen and I was wearing a body shape dress. It's very sad to hear these words from a old woman.

30 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I think you don’t have to give up your seat, especially when the uncle is not even frail! I think you’re Super tolerant, I would have told her off there n then in her language n ask her to stop.

I will not give up my seat to anyone whether i am 1 month pregnant or 9 month pregnant. Similarly if i cant find any seat, i will not request ppl to give up seat to me just because i am pregnant.

Thành viên VIP

So sad. I also got cursed at by an indian woman in 50s when i was pregnant and sat on reserved seat in mrt. She kept mumbling to herself that young people should stand for her. I just ignored.

Thành viên VIP

If you are confident that you can withstand the journey then by all means.. if you know you don’t feel well, just ignore her.. she’s just being too self centred/self entitled.

You are carrying another life inside. If anything happens to you, two lives are at stake instead of one. If anything happens to them, it’s only one life at stake.

Thành viên VIP

its okay, dont be sad mummy. just ignore them. old ppl, sometimes they just jump into conclusions, without thinking if you have nausea or anything like that.

Thành viên VIP

I think you shouldn’t at this point. You have to take care of yourself first. If he was ok. The lady shouldn’t have said all that

What abt the other passengers in the bus? None of them offered the man a seat? I think this is where some people lack in civic mindedness.

5y trước

If other able-bodied ppl don't give up their seats, all the more you don't have to.

Super Mom

Dont be sad mummy. Some people only care about themselves. You must protect yourself and your baby so u are doing the right thing!

Doesn't matter, it's her problem not yours, so just ignore. Nowadays, not easy to get pregnant, so must take care of yourself :)