I have not met my mother in law, going to meet her soon. How should I behave for good first impression?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Do your homework, ask your husband or partner about his mother and while you should be yourself and not be fake, try to avoid topics and actions that might set you up in a negative light. Whatever intel you can get from your man will be useful haha. I remember meeting my future MIL for the first time, after a 12 hour drive from one end of Sweden to the other. I was exhausted but I remember applying lip gloss in the car and having breakfast with the family and mustering all my energies to maintain a great conversation despite my sleepy state. It worked well (I think) heehee.

Read more

You can ask your husband on what are her mom's likings and dislikes, e.g food, and you can buy one of them for first meetup gift. Also, dress appropriately and be respectful all the times. For me, I met my MIL for the first time 10 years ago and I bought her some mangoes as she likes mangoes. During the conversation I just went with the flow and both of us feel comfortable.

Read more
Thành viên VIP

Just be yourself. Be polite and don't overdo things. If you put on an act, she'll see through it eventually. Perhaps you could get her a nice gift? Doesn't have to be very expensive, but something she will like. Ask your husband for suggestions. I met my MIL when I was pregnant and she as very kind to me. I wasn't very nervous and things turned out well.

Read more

Just be yourself, you can ask your husband that if there are any specifics you need to follow. But I agree be casual, you are not going for an interview. Just be polite and respectful as you are with your parents. Just don't do this :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2U49xHFOFc

Thành viên VIP

Agreed with @Florian- be yourself. She's a mother, she loves her son- she will see past you if you are being fake. Be yourself and enjoy yourself. Appreciate her outfit or her cooking. compliment her son and let her talk more than you do.

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-3805)

Agreed with Isabelle. Make sure you're dressed appropriately for the occasion. Be polite but don't fake it...too much! Haha. Have fun, you'll be fine :)

Dress appropriately, listen carefully, do not interrupt, be respectful and of course, show her how great of a person you are :-)

Try something crazy: be yourself. It's usually the best strategy in every situation.