Pregnancy temp staff

I am a contract staff in a reputable company. I was pregnant during the time with the company. However, boss just informed me that company will not renew my contract due to a change in management and to to cut cost. But I feel this is a good excuse that company like to use. Because just 1 week before I go for maternity leave, the boss inform me instead of getting my colleague to cover me, he had employed a new perm staff that I need to hand over my work. The handover was very rush during that time as I have only 3 days to finish the training. If it was a cut cost reason, why did he employ a new perm staff to cover me?And now it seems like I am an additional burden to the company. Right now I will be out of job when my maternity leaves end in 2 months' time. This is my 2nd baby and my family will have financial problems once I am out of job. And furthermore, my elder child will not enjoy govt subsidies for childcare anymore. Any mummies with the same situation? Is there any law to protect mummy for contract job? I am at a loss now.

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Economy is very very tough right now. Many private companies are trying to save cost. Maybe the new staff salary is much cheaper than yours and his/her output can be much more cause no need to care for newborn? Not the right way to think about it as a boss, but desperate times call for desperate measure. The economy now is really not good.

Read more