Is 1 month of confinement a must?

It's been tough securing a CL these days. I don't even feel comfortable putting down a deposit for them. Caucasians don't do confinement the way we asians do. Can mothers please share their confinement experience? Do you really feel too weak etc to cook confinement meals yourself while taking care of baby? Do we really really a CL/mother to do confinement for us?

20 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mom

I didn’t have a CL but my husband was with me. Being tired and weak is one thing, but leaving your baby alone while you’re trying to cook/clean/do other stuff is another. A lot of babies are insecure and will keep crying and calling for you. My friend gave up eating some meals altogether, which is really bad, especially when you’re recovering, and when you’re trying to build up your milk supply. Sometimes we think, I can do all these when baby sleeps.. but when they finally fall asleep, we feel the fatigue (and it’s severe) since the adrenaline rush is gone. You may lose track of time and days, forget whether you’ve done something, and so on.. cooking can then become dangerous because you’re so out of it. From personal experience, it’s doable without a CL. But get help with your meals.. either order in daily or get the tingkat confinement meals, or get someone else to cook (I kid you not, my husband learnt cooking because I broke down one day and said I was too tired. Now, he’s the head chef at home). Also lower your expectations for things like house cleanliness for a while. And for things like exclusive breastfeeding during the initial phase. If you have not enough milk, just top up with formula till you have enough. If you’re worried about nipple confusion, feed baby with a syringe instead of the bottle. Lastly, mental health is very important. Ask for help if you need it. Don’t carry the weight of the world on your shoulders. Your husband should also play a big role in caring for your baby. And if you need emotional support, talk to your husband, friends and the rest of the mummy community:)

Read more