Are glass feeding bottles better than plastic bottles?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I would say glass bottles are always better.Plastic baby bottles have been considered the best choice because they couldn’t break, but with recent discoveries of the dangers of a chemical in plastic called bisphenol A (BPA), people are changing back from plastic to tempered glass bottles. A small amount of BPA has been shown to damage hormonal systems in males and females, contributing to reproductive diseases and cancer. A recent study done by Environmental Defense found that more than 90% of plastic baby bottles leach BPA. The news was frightening enough for BPA to be banned in Canada, although the FDA remains indecisive. Glass bottles are still quite cheap. You can buy specialized bottle warmers or do your warming the old-fashioned way, heating the formula or milk over low heat on the stove. Sterilizing bottles is easily done on a daily schedule in the dishwasher, but according to WedMD, unless your water supply is contaminated, you don’t need to sterilize bottles or nipples; cleaning with a bottle brush, washing and rinsing should be adequate. Pros: BPA-free Made without the use of petroleum means a more eco-friendly choice Recyclable Material is non-absorbent when heating and warming Available in a variety of sizes, nipple shapes and “flows” Can be boiled, heated and easily sanitized Safe for traveling and will even get past airline security as long as they are empty Cons: Fear of breaking or shattering when dropped on a hard surface Generally more expensive than plastic or BPA-free plastic bottles Heavier to carry, weighing down diaper bag or purse Do not offer the same range in nipple shapes and variety

Read more

The main problem with plastic baby bottles is that some of them are made with polycarbonate plastic. Polycarbonate plastic is now known to leach a compound called bisphenol A, or BPA, a chemical that may cause developmental hormonal disruptions in young children as it mimics estrogen in the body. By nature, glass is free of BPA. Glass is also easy to clean, and can be easily sterilized in boiling water. These days, baby bottles are made of tempered glass, which is harder to break than regular glass. Glass bottles last longer and can also be recycled more readily than plastic baby bottles. Despite all that, glass baby bottles, even tempered ones, will break if not careful. Glass is also heavier than plastic, making baby bottles more prone to be dropped and able to cause more damage when thrown. Glass bottles are also more expensive than plastic bottles. These days, parents tend to look for plastic bottles that are BPA free. Newer baby bottles in the market these days are made from BPA-free plastics, such as polypropelyne and are labeled as such. This way, they get the best of both world, lighter (and less dangerous) plastic bottles without the worry of chemical disruptions, just like a glass bottle. http://www.livestrong.com/article/167283-plastic-vs-glass-baby-bottles/

Read more

Idza's answer is great, full agree, just make sure whether the bottle is BPA free. A few other things to think about: Never store breast milk or formula in plastic bottles. Pour it into the bottle just before your baby is ready to eat. Throw out anything that is left over. - Avoid hot water or strong cleaner. This will cause the plastic to disintegrate more quickly - Use warm water only - Replace glass bottles with cracks Me personally, I prefer glass bottles over plastic when I need to heat the content. There's a lot of myths and discussions around whether you should or should not use plastic and potential health risks. For now, as far as I know, there's no scientific evidence for it though. It just gives me peace of mind.

Read more

Here are the pros and cons of each bottle. Glass bottles - heavier, harder for baby to grip - may slip and fall and break thus have to buy the silicon cover as seen in the picture below. + easier to clean and free of harmful chemicals Plastic bottles + lighter and less expensive - have to make sure you buy bpa free bottles - less durable and will wear down faster.

Read more
Post reply image

Some of my friends prefer glass bottles but would bring plastic bottles when going out. So most have both types. At home, when using glass bottles, they would handle the bottle for their babies. When they want to let their babies hold onto the bottle by themselves, they would switch to plastic bottles as those are lighter and will not break as easily.

Read more
Thành viên VIP

In health term, glass bottle sure healthier than plastic because some plastic bottle contain BPA. But nowaday many plastics bottle is BPA Free and safe for your kid. Meanwhile glass bottle need more attention, baby can break them and that is dangerous.

I used glass bottle with my daughter. Even though plastic bottle does not have BPA (BPA Free) it still contain chemical. Glass bottle is cheaper and better. Furthermore, it is cheaper as well. It was worry free for me at the time.

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-3657)

It's easy to get bpa free plastic bottles so we used those as they're lighter and there's no risk of breakage.