Nightmare prevention

Anything we can do to prevent kids from having nightmares? #nightmare

24 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Given that there is no known cause for nightmares, it is quite difficult to prevent it from occurring. Sometimes, a child has a nightmare for no apparent reason. However, it seemed like there is a higher tendency for a child to have nightmare during times of stress or when he/she is undergoing some changes. As such, during such instances, a parent could be more alert and be ready to offer assurances when his/her child has a nightmare in the middle of the night. Here is an article that covers this topic which I found quite informative: http://kidshealth.org/en/parents/nightmare.html The article highlighted some tips (page 2 of article) on how to help a child get a better night’s rest (in hopes of preventing nightmares from occurring). Mainly some points on how to help a child feel secure and relaxed during bedtime. Also, the article also teaches a parent how to handle a child who just had a nightmare (on page 3). Hope this helps!

Read more

It isn't possible to stop your child from ever having another nightmare, but you may be able to reduce the frequency of bad dreams. Suggestions include: 1. Make sure your child doesn't watch frightening shows on television, or read scary books. 2. Consider your child's daily routine. Is anything troubling them? Stressful events that could trigger a spate of nightmares include a new sibling, moving house or starting school. 3. Talk about dreams together, and explain that everyone has dreams and occasional nightmares. 4. If your child is troubled by a recurring nightmare, help them to explore its meaning through drawing, writing or play acting. Thinking about the nightmare creatively – especially when the child comes up with a happier ending or 'makes friends' with the nightmare character – can help to defuse the power of the dream. 5. Seek professional advice if needed. See your doctor for information and referral.

Read more

Hi, You can have them in your arms, cuddle them and pat back to sleep. All this while you can talk to them. Though, it may take them to hear you till they break off the nightmare, but keep talking to the baby, and keep saying, "Mamma is here with you. I am here. Come I will hug you. Mamma will love you," or whatever way you cuddle him. To prevent having nightmares, do not let baby over exert before the sleeping time, do not let baby catch any scary movie or show on the television. Watch your behaviour with the baby. When we shout at kids though they may forget it in ghe day time but they have bad dreams about the same thing at night and feel scared.

Read more

As a parent we should give much more care to them. I won't let them watch such fearful movie or stories . If we shouted at them try to console them and make them happy. While they are in sleep assuring our presence by singing lullaby and keep pillow besides them. It will give a feeling that we are near to them

Read more

Don play with them too much or let them get too excited after late afternoon. for my girl, 6.30pm dinner, then shower after that no more playing. she cna still play her toy. but no more playing too rough till she laugh or giggle non stop. is more of to prepare ever for bed time and calm her down..

for me I use to hear from my grandma n mother that dun let them play too much but after some time I feel that playing before bed time won't really have nightmare ... I guess depend on individual ba ... my youngest son seldom cry during sleep now when he play too much n now he is 5 yr olds .

No matter what your child seems to be afraid of, a night-light can help. Nightlights are fine as long as it does not prevent your child from falling asleep. Another thing to try is leaving the bedroom door open so that your child doesn't feel isolated from the rest of the family.

First, minimize overall stress by making sure your child gets enough sleep. A relaxing and predictable bedtime routine can help ward off nightmares – try a warm bath, an uplifting story, a song, and end with a night-light. You can also read books that talk about bedtime fears.

Avoid violent TV shows or aggressive games before bedtime. Maintain the bedtime routene like bath, switching of lights & sounds. Play melody music that ur baby loves. Stay near to him while the baby is getting sleep. So that they feel secured & sleep with relaxed mind.

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-12246)