Any natural remedy for motion sickness / Car sickness?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Ginger: There is ample research that shows that ginger is an effective treatment for motion sickness. Ginger seems to work by slowing the movements of the muscle walls of the stomach. The right dose of ginger for motion sickness is unclear, especially for children. The University of Maryland Medical Center suggests an adult dose of 250 mg of a standardized extract three times daily, or as needed. This dose is only a guideline, and children may require less. Ask your pediatrician whether this is an appropriate amount for you or your child. Aromatherapy: Scents such as mint or lavender may be effective as anti-nausea agents. For more on essential oils and the research basis of their efficacy, see my article here. Acupressure: Sea-Bands and other brands of acupressure wrist bands are inexpensive and low-risk treatments for motion sickness. Research on the efficacy of acupressure interventions for preventing motion sickness does not show clear benefit– some people find marked relief with acupressure, others little or none. So, if it’s working for you or your child, go for it.

Read more
Thành viên VIP

Motion sickness according to WebMB is caused by sensory mismatch. And I agree from it that whenever you know you are travelling, you should and your child (if you already have) should not leave with an empty stomach or perhaps bring along some travel-friendly food that you can eat along the way, but also make sure that you won't bloat yourself. http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/how-to-beat-motion-sickness Above all, I find menthol balms or menthol oil relieves best my motion sickness like ever since. Like this one.

Read more
Post reply image

Normally for me, it helps a lot when I grab some candies and take some while on the road. If I do not have some, I use White Flower which was mentioned by Ruby. It is generally available in drugstores and even in different grocery stores.

Thành viên VIP

My family uses something called ricqles peppermint drops. You take 5-6 drops and mix it with a glass of water after and before your car rides. I am not sure where to get it in Singapre but we buy it from Hong Kong.

Post reply image

I chew on raw slices of ginger or drink lemon water. The ginger methods sounds super unappealing but it works really well. I used to chew on ginger candies but I find that actual raw ginger works much better.

Thành viên VIP

Have you try cajuput oil? It works really good! It has like pepermint smell but with bolder smell. Put some of the oil in your belly near belly button and under the nose. Bonus: It also prevent mosquitos!

Based on experience, when I was younger, my grandmother used to give me citrus whenever we travel. The scent of the citrus peel and the taste of the fruit itself are somehow effective.

Ginger works well for me... How I use ginger to help with nausea? - Pound 1 tea spoon of ginger root into a paste * Mix it with 100ml of warm water and drink up!

Read more
Post reply image

Don't have anything heavy before travel. Also you may have some candies. It helps!

Polar bear or White flower oil! :)