Just wondering if I am the only 'fussy' mommy around who simply hates it when people (incl relatives) start using their fingers to repeatedly tease/tap my 4mo baby's cute chubby cheeks everytime they see her. I really don't like it at all...esp so because my mil has a bad habit of doing that repeatedly and non-stop for abt 10 times in a span of 1min! When i just delivered my nb back in march, mil kept doing that to my nb's cheeks and we all know how sensitive a nb's skin is..my hubby told her not to do that as her cheeks were slightly red then. Despite him telling her not to do so, she does it everytime she sees my baby and somehow I feel that it is done with the intention of pissing me off because we have already explained and expressed to her not to do so. Anyone out there shares my sentiments? Or better still, anyone out there disagrees with me and can make me see this in a different light and not get so pissed? Thanks!

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I don't think you are being "fussy" here. It is natural for one to be protective over their little ones, especially a baby. On the other hand, I don't think your mother-in-law is doing so deliberately. I would see it as your baby being too adorable, and her cheeks being too "irresistible". Your mother-in-law may have forgotten about the reminder. Try to get your hubby to point it out to her as she is doing so, so that she can see how your baby's cheeks are getting "red" from the tapping. There are things that our relatives and friends say, or actions they do that we have no control over. Intentionally or not, try to not let these get to you. If possible (especially if the action is making you uncomfortable), try to tell them politely or if someone else is in a better position to do so (like your husband to your mother-in-law), get the other person to do it. Take care mummy!

Read more

Hello mommy, does the incessant pinching and poking bother your baby till she cries? If it doesn't, I reckon it's not something to get too upset about. I think your MIL is just excited to see her grandchild. Is your baby her first grandchild? And how often does she get to see your daughter? Some of these factors could contribute to her overzealous touching of baby's cheeks. I know an aunt who would squeeze my baby nephew's chubby arms and thighs every time she meets him and she always says, "when you get bigger, I've no chance to do this anymore." Some of these old people are mighty sentimental and they just can't help themselves around cute babies. If it really bothers you so much, here's an extreme and non ideal way to deal with it -- tell your MIL that she's hurting your baby and if baby is hurt, then she might not be able to visit as much

Read more

Honestly, now i feel guilty as charged as i do it to my 4 mths old all the time though. Hiwever i would think it very much depends on the baby. Whenever i pinched/playfully my first born often cried and i woukd think he must not like it or it could also be hurting him. However for my second child, he loves it to the core. Each time i do it he starts laughing, cooing and giggling. It happens till his cheeks turn pink too. As long as baby is okay, i would think its alright? Otherwise maybe gentle reminders to your MiL might help too. Not sure if this helps :)

Read more

Thanks Yuna Liz! You hit the nail. Indeed my baby is her first grandchild and we visit her once a week. And I think you are right abt older folks being overly sentimental. Tks again... the "pissed" intensity is lowering. ;)

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-14289)

I totally understand how you feel! It's not sanitary either for different people to be touching a baby. I now tell people not to touch her face because she has sensitive skin (which she really does) !

Thanks Hui Qun! Appreciate it :) Agree that getting someone else in a better position to speak/mitigate when such a situation arises would help. Will keep that in mind. Tks again.

My sil love to squeeze my 6 months old cheeks