Saying goodbye... to bf

it’s with mixed feelings and a heavy heart that i will be saying goodbye to breastfeeding when baby is 6m. i have endured months of painful cracked blistering bleeding nipples, engorgement , lack of sleep and rest, stress at work from a not-understanding boss and colleagues, in order to provide breastmilk for my baby. i don’t produce a lot but i have tried hard and to the best of what i can do, to squeeze out whatever i can. i will dread whenever people ask, is baby on bm or formula? as soon i will have to say shamefully, the latter only. people have no idea how stressful and sad it is. conversations in the shared pumping room- “wow i have so much milk i don’t know where to store!” ... “my baby is almost 1 year and i plan to continue as long as she wants!” ... “i just need to pump 10min and i have 300ml” ... all these made me feel like a failure. to rub salt into my wounds (literally also), my baby refuses to latch sometimes but will drink straight from bottle after he bites/pushes me away. and still i endured till now. i know kind people will try to console me. but i can not help but feel i am a loser. especially when a big factor is due to work stress. i can endure the painful nipples but the stress of work piling up and being questioned by my boss “have u done this? that?” when i go to pump and my work just piling up with no help because i had to pump. my boss had hinted i need to buck up. so i end up working late and later & later with my engorged breasts. i am often the last one to leave office. even when i’m pumping i’m so fearful, i keep checking my emails. this was a major factor why i also decided to stop bf. and i feel ashamed as my baby should be the most important but i let work dictate what i do for him... but i cannot afford to lose this job as times are bad now and i need to feed the family. it’s a long post, thanks for being here and TIA for any positive thoughts sent out to me. thank you... and blessed Vesak Day.

17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

u have done what u can, mummy. Every mother struggles with their own issues. theres no shame in giving fm. Some mummies like my mil cant produce any milk at all! or other mummies just dont want to deal with bm took pills to stop the bm. Its all in ur mind. The most important thing is ur baby is happy and full belly. Take care , mummy.

Read more
4y trước

thank you very much for your encouraging words!