Hi, what would you do if your K1 kid refuse to go to school? Everyday, she'll mention that she doesn't want go to school and doesn't like Teacher N. To me, the teacher is quite impatient and negative. And apprently, some of her other classmates' parents also said the kids don't like her. I've spoken to the teacher but things doesn't seem to change. Will speaking to the principal help before we consider changing school? But that would effect the teacher's treatment towards my kids right?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Talk with your child. Talk about what's bothering her, while at the same time making it clear that a plan will be made to return to school. Keep in mind that some children can't describe what is bothering them. Don't force conversation if it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. The most important message to convey is this: you believe your child can conquer this problem, and you'll be there to help her through it. Don’t lecture. Avoid lengthy discussions and debates about the importance of going to school. Lecturing won't do any good, and it may actually make matters worse. Any attention, even negative attention, can reinforce and maintain a problem. Talk to the teacher and principal about it and get their help and opinion to make school life more comfortable for your child. Most importantly, you are still the main person to decide what’s best for your child and if this is the right school & environment for your child to be in. :)

Read more