Hi mummies, is cord stem cells necessary? Or just cord blood will be good enough? If I would to buy both, the cost is quite substantial.

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Actually after looking at Cryoviva and Cordlife, I found that costs are quite similar for their most expensive packages. Hence, I would rather go for Cordlife which can store cord blood, tissue and lining whereas Cryoviva and Stemcord can only store cord blood and lining. Also, most costs can be paid via the CDAC account, since Govt will give $3k upon LO’s birth, and if you top up $3k, will get additional $3k dollar-for-dollar matching when you first deposit into baby’s CDAC. That means you’ll have $9k inside once you give birth and that can offset around $6.8k of the package. To decide to store or donate: https://www.sgbudgetbabe.com/2018/09/should-i-store-or-donate-my-babys-cord.html?m=1 For an unbiased review: https://www.sgbudgetbabe.com/2018/10/my-review-of-cordlife-vs-stemcord-vs.html?m=1

Read more
Thành viên VIP

The chances of your child’s cord blood to be used for your own family is quite slim. If you put it in exclusive family cord blood banking and not used, you not only waste money for the storage, but the chance to help others had you donated it instead. I donated mine with the Singapore Cord Blood Bank. You may want to consider that. The advantage of donating here is that when you or family needs cord blood transplant, you can turn to them for free, whether or not your cord blood was successfully stored or not.

Read more
Thành viên VIP

Frankly speaking, this whole cord blood banking thing is not yet thoroughly researched. Right now, what can be done with it is only a very small fraction of the whole plethora of diseases. Private cord blood banking is not cheap either. So it depends on your family's finances and what you believe in. I chose to donate it instead. If it really can help someone in need then great for the receipient. 😊

Read more
4y trước

Hi, I think you’re misunderstanding about “not thoroughly researched”. It only means that some diseases can be used but there are some diseases yet to be proven can be effective. Although that’s the case, it only means that next time as science and technology progresses, more diseases may be able to use cord blood, tissue or lining to be treated. At this moment, there’s quite a number of diseases proven to be treatable. Hence, in the future, having the cord blood, tissue or lining in your own ownership means a bonus if your now-not-yet-known-to-be-treated disease ends up becoming can be treated.

I think necessary is an over-statement. Depends if u really believe in this whole cord banking thing - it does work but chances are slim. It's a luxury to have I feel. So if it's cost is too much for u to agree on then I say just don't need? By the way, in the future if u regret, stem cells can be harvested from baby tooth too

Read more

Heard chances of being used is slim. After certain years it’s charged per annum. We signed up for cord blood banking but did not go thru in the end during the free look period.

Thành viên VIP

Cord blood will be good enough. But personally i didn't do any as i feel that it's expensive maintaining it with the monthly fees. for my next baby, i would donate it instead

I did not do either. On a monthly basis too costly for me. Guess it's to each its own. Only found out about this through my second pregnancy.