Hospital bag

Should i bring along my breast pump for delivery? Is it a necessity?#1stimemom #advicepls

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mom

Hi mama, Congratulations! You will produce colostrum in the first few days after the birth of your baby - this is full of nutritious good stuff from fats to proteins to vitamins - and it’s like a multi-vite. Because it’s so concentrated, it will come in in small amounts. That’s also because your baby’s tummy is the size of a grape. Many mamas who pump at this stage feel they have no milk at this point because when they pump they get minuscule amounts and get discouraged and worried they won’t have enough to feed baby when in fact, they’ve got all they need to do so. So I’d say, wait till you get home to pump :) Also, do take note that your milk will come in 3-5 days post delivery. If you intend to breastfeed exclusively, milk supply stabilised by about 6 months and after. Be patient with yourself because baby needs to practice latching as do you, and your breast will need to get used to the pump as well because the suction is different. Note that the first latch may be painful because your nipples are not used to latching a baby. This does not mean you’re not breastfeeding correctly. As long as the areola together with your nipple is in baby’s mouth and there’s no sucking sound, you should be having a good latch. You can also see if baby is having something to drink as the baby’s sucking pattern will change, from light sucks to swallowing followed by the breath he takes after swallowing - just like how we drink. Hope this helps!

Read more
3y trước

You’re most welcome! Here are some great resources regarding breastfeeding as well, just to get you started: https://kellymom.com/hot-topics/milkproduction/

Post reply image
Influencer của TAP

though extremely low supply with firstborn, i still did not bring breast pump during 2nd delivery coz was really hoping to breastfeed successfully

You can bring along . I just gave birth at TMC and the lactation consultant teach me how to use my breast pump.

Influencer của TAP

not necessary, mostly ur milk still flow very slow and u need to feed ur baby. wont hv extra to pump

I’m planning to purchase breast pump when I admit cos there’s a discount then 😅

I brought, I managed to pump 30ml every 3 hours on my second day

When i gave birth and Kkh you can request to use theirs for free

Not necessary. You might not need it but can still bring along

Thành viên VIP

it not necessary but you can bring if you want

i didnt bring it along. kkh have medela