Announcing pregnancy

Is it rude if I inform my family members (including parents/in laws) that I'm pregnant when I'm 4-5months? Hubby is ok with not announcing till they noticed the bump... I don't like to have too much attention on me, and very comfortable with just me and hubby knowing it for now. #firsttimemom

24 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Kept the news hidden till baby was born up to 3 months old and counting now and yup still not ready to tell. Well eventually some immediate family members found out themselves and some others still doesn’t know. It does not matter if some were disappointed because my mental, emotional and physical health was on the line. I wanted to have a private life ever since marriage but my first pregnancy didn’t go as what i have planned. I was overwhelmed by all the attention and always gave in to everyone’s request with the baby. Had too many family visits and family outings. I’m like fine i get it, it’s first grandchild for both sides and the excitement was really hitting off the roof. So i became very passive and had a hard time saying no to them. I kept pretending and attending to everyone around me which is slowly making me feel depressed. I also have social anxiety so it doesn’t do justice in the depressing situation i am in. My mental health has turn for the worse which is why i chose to keep my second pregnancy and the baby news quiet. I feel so much at ease and peaceful now so it’s honestly a great feeling to follow what you want for yourself. It’s more encouraging when your partner listens, understands and supports you. Groove in with the peace for as long as you want because it’s not always about pleasing everyone around, sometimes you have to be selfish. This is my experience so you can take this as a guidance from the opinion you have and the decision you want to make. Take care always.

Read more

FTM here too and told my family at 8 weeks and regret sharing so early. My mum became extremely excited, said that she will clear her schedule to help me take care and then she kept on nagging/reminding on the Dos and don’ts almost immediately and the next few days and treated me like a child again. We usually speak only twice or thrice a week after I’ve shifted out. I know it’s out of concern but it was toooooo much. I was very uncomfortable with the attention, dislike the nagging/reminders even more and was so stressed that I couldn’t sleep for next 2 days and had to go work too. My husband was so worried. I get stress just to think that I have to endure this for the next 7 months and when the baby comes out it will probably be worse. So afraid she will just come to my place and start nagging and takes over everything. It was affecting my mental health and I decide to let her know that she was causing me anxiety. She was obviously upset and said that I was proud and disrespectful. Thankfully after that the daily nagging stopped and I felt so much happier.

Read more

Hey mummy, First of all congratulations on your pregnancy😊. Just wanted to let you know that is your choice to make when and how you wanted to announce your pregnancy. Is your baby to begin with. Do bare in mind after announcing it you get a lot of “advices”, take them if is good. Ignore if is non-sense. Most important is that your comfortable and just enjoy the precess of pregnancy😊. All the best to you☺️.

Read more

I'm at my Wk28 and my Father-in-law is still kept in the dark. When i see other relatives of my FIL's family, nobody have actually asked if i was pregnant. Guess they didnt notice my baby bump since i'm of a bigger built by default.. Expecting to deliver the baby at Wk 37, i have 9 weeks left.. So i guess it is not impossible to keep pregnancy underwraps.

Read more

You do you! I didn’t announce my pregnancy even to my own parents until the end of my 5th month! I only wanted to announce it when it starts getting too obvious like the bump is too big to hide. I never regretted my decision because for those first 5 months, my husband and I were alone in the happy bubble without anyone fussing over me.

Read more

You do you mama. Only my parents and immediate in-laws knew about my pregnancy at week 10. I told them to keep it from the rest of the relatives until week 21 then they started sharing the news, since we have to attend family gatherings so the cat would be out of the bag sooner or later.

You do you! I only announced it at 6+ months. Immediate family and extended family both didn’t know and I didn’t want them to intrude. Hubby agreed to this so it was all ok. Most importantly you feel at peace and you’re comfortable mama!

You do you, at most just have to explain well to family members after that if they ask. But I would encourage you to tell a close family member or friend in case you need more emotional support throughout your first trimester

Yess i did! Informed my in law when i was 4-5 months. Plus its your pregnancy, your decision. I rather wait longer before telling, and also to save yourself from unsolicited advices!!

This depends on your own comfort level. Do what makes you happy. You don’t owe others an explanation. If your family members really love you, they will understand.