Abstaining cravings during pregnany

Is it okay to abstain from cravings during pregnancy? I've been trying really hard to abstain from my cravings but I can't seem to stop thinking about my cravings every day. I salivate a lot and it feels really bad to consume food that I know is beneficial for me, but at the same time not what I really want at the moment. I've been avoiding spicy and sweet foods for a few months now and I feel like I'm reaching my limit.. Do you give in to your own cravings, or were you able to avoid eating foods that are not good for you such as sweets and fast food?

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes, it is okay to abstain from cravings during pregnancy. It's important to focus on consuming foods that are beneficial for you and your baby's health. However, it's also understandable that it can be difficult to resist cravings, especially when you salivate a lot and feel bad about not consuming the food you really want. I personally have experienced similar struggles during my pregnancy. What helped me was finding healthier alternatives to satisfy my cravings. For example, if I craved something sweet, I would opt for fruits or yogurt instead of desserts. If I wanted something spicy, I would try seasoning my meals with herbs and mild spices instead of indulging in extremely spicy foods. It's important to listen to your body and find a balance. If you feel like you're reaching your limit, it's okay to give in to your cravings occasionally, as long as it's in moderation and doesn't compromise your overall diet. Remember to consult your healthcare provider for personalized advice as well. Take care and remember that you're doing great! https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

I avoid all food that I believe are not beneficial/bad for the pregnancy. It’s hard but oh well, I told myself it’s not worth a bite if the food may cause something negative to my child for the rest of her life. But it all depends on individual. So long as your gynae is ok and you’re ok and everything is eaten moderately, you should be alright.

Read more

For me personally, i will, give in to my cravings. In moderation. Of course not the harmful ones like alcohol or smoke or uncooked food like sashimi lah. I dont drink or smoke. But spicy food all i eat. Again, in moderation because i will compensate it with healthy food like fruits and veggies. Mummy happy, baby happier.

Read more

I eat everything i want. I ate a lot of omakase also. Only ate fresh raw food from reputable restaurants. I can wake up at 6am to eat curry rice. Gained alot of weight but i guess happy mummy = happy baby LOL. Lost most of my weight in my first month postpartum anw cuz confinement food is so bland ahahaha

Read more

I ate fast food once every week. I cannot don't eat fast food at all. But I feel it's fine because I'm also eating healthy food. I think pregnancy is already very tough so no point being tough on myself further. I believe some unhealthy food will not hurt the baby, as long as you also consume healthy food.

Read more

Personal bottom line is no raw food. Gave in to cravings (eg maggie, fast food, cold drinks, desserts) once in a while but will try to compensate with healthy food (red meat, salmon, avacado etc) on other days lol. I also believe that happy mum = happy baby😜

I love spicy and sweet food as well. I didn’t avoid it. I only avoided raw food. I still satisfied my own cravings when there are any but all in moderation! I don’t binge eat a lot just because of the cravings.

I do give in to my cravings from time to time, because I prioritize my happiness over stress. I think it’s alright so long you also take in healthy food.

I ate chilli almost every meal and anything I want except for raw food & alcohol. Don’t be so tough on urself! Baby is stronger than you think 💕

I believe eating in moderation is key. Rather than abstaining and constantly craving it, I think it's better to have them a little every once a while