Should NIPT replace NT ultrasound?

NIPT screens for genetic disorder but we still need a NT ultrasound to check for congenital defects such as hole in the heart? I’m with a private gyn and I’m not sure if he might be omitting some tests based on best practice. What’s the set of tests you go through? #firsttimemom #nipt

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

usually more detailed defects cannot be seen at the NT/first trimester screening scan as it's too early! the fetal anatomy scan at 20-22 weeks would be more suitable for those. the NT scan though is good for seeing rough structures that can help give a little bit more indication of genetic syndrome risks e.g. nuchal translucency thickness (behind neck thickness), nasal bone/cranium (skull) presence, rough heart structure/activity, and the limbs. I was seeing a private obgyn prior to moving to NUH private and she didn't mention to do NT scan with NIPT...the NT scan would've only been part of OSCAR if I opted for that. my current obgyn at NUH recommended this to check the above-mentioned structural features on top of the NIPT and it was great to see baby at 12 weeks formed so well :") if doing NIPT, we get a v good screen of the genetic risks with baby DNA tested..not really so necessary to add on the other maternal serum/hormone tests that are in OSCAR.

Read more
2y trước

I see! I’ll ask my dr the next time on the NT scan. I would love to know if structurally the baby is well too.

yep that’s what i thought too. both tests are impt to me. took NIPT and NT