My baby is currently 6mo. Hesitating to start soild food as he is having cough and a lot of phlegm. Starting to lose interest in milk as well. Afraid if start soild food will course him to have more phlegm. Can advise what should i do?? TIA!

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi mummy, I encountered the same issue when I wanted to start solids but my baby wasn't feeling well at 6months old. I delayed feeding him solids for fear that he will choke n gag. As well as irritate his throat to cough even more. I want him to enjoy the process of trying solid, I was worried that if he choke on solids he might be fearful of eating. It's perfectly fine to delay a week or two when introducing solids, nothing worrying about it. As you mentioned that your baby started losing interest in milk, it might be due to his coughing and he is not feeling too well to drink milk. Hope he will get well soon :)

Read more

It's ok if you delay the food weaning stage. At his age, food is an 'experiment' for him. To discover the taste and texture, and skills related to eating (chewing, spitting, use hand etc). Baby below 1 y/o main food is milk, the other food is supplementary. After 1 y/o, it's the other way around. Since your baby is not well, keep nursing him and start the food weaning when his condition is better and comfortable for him.

Read more

Need to clear his phelgm to enable him to eat properly without much problem. If phelgm doesn't clear, he might have problems eating and thus lose interest in food. If cough persist for too long, it isnt good as may lead to more serious issues. Seek medical help 1st.

Read more

delay solids until he is better. milk comes first. when he is well and in a good mood can try solids then. even adults don't like to try new unfamiliar things when sick. plus baby's digestion may not be good when sick. hope he gets well soon

I agree with Jasmine. At 6 - 7 months, theyre not really eating to be fulfilled. Its more to just get them introduced to tastes of food, teach them to stop tongue thrust. So ok to delay by a few days till your baby is better.

Hi mummies, thank you so much! Ok I shall hold for a while... Meanwhile i do more research about how should I prepare and bring to ifc... Rather concern about freezing vege... Fruits I guess it should be alright yea...

Hmmm okk... Thanks for the advice and encouragement... Used to be a milk monster now drop more than 50% for his overall intake... Shall monitor then :)

True... We adults tend to lost appetite as well... Always forget to relate it back to adults... Thank you so much for reminding!