Getting induced

Hi mumsies! I'm at week 38, and I've been given another week to try to naturally dilate before I get induced. I'm afraid, cos I've heard horrible, painful stories from those who have been induced. If you have been induced before, how was the experience like for you? What part of the induction hurt so bad? For those who weren't induced, what helped with natural dilation? I know sex, squats, walking and curb-walking help, and I'm gonna do them daily for the next 7 days 😂 Edit (update!): I didn't get induced! I had my bloody show at week 38 day 2, after a cervical check, and had contractions the next day. Went to admit myself on Sunday afternoon cos I was having contractions 6-10mins apart. Stayed overnight and was guided by nurses to do lots of walks around the ward and also do deep sumo squats (5x10 secs each)! I feel that helped. I had also been drinking the raspberry leaf tea as well as dates daily. Our bundle of joy came out on 1 April! 😍

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi! Don’t be worry about induction as long as you make sure to ask the nurses/ gynae what to expect it will be fine (: I was induced at 39 weeks. Gynae let us choose whether to induce or wait but we opted for induce cause we rather not be panicking and rushing when it’s time 😅 Admitted at 11pm, and had pill inserted at around 1am. Didn’t feel any pain at all. At about 6am contraction was every 2-3mins but i was only 0.5cm dilated. So nurse gave me Pitocin to dilate faster. Pain scale after Pitocin was 1/10 but still wasn’t dilating fast enough so gynae came in at around 9am to break the water bag. Breaking water bag was rather uncomfortable but still bearable. After breaking water bag contraction still feels okay just like a really mild period cramp. And this is when i made the mistake of not checking on what the nurses are doing. After the next shift of nurses came in they stop updating me on what they are doing. As i was dilating quite slowly and i wasn’t in any pain, Nurses keep upping the Pitocin dosage and suddenly pain went from 1/10 to 100/10. And my baby went into distress as well. Afterwards a more experienced nurse came in and ask why was dosage so high when my contractions is already 2-3min apart. Very important to ask the nurses on what they are doing and make sure they update u if they are upping the dosage. If u want a painless labour i suggest you to ask for epidural before any pain kicks in. As you will have to wait for 30-45min for doctor to come administer epidural. I thought i was strong enough to not feel any pain but it just came suddenly and i thought i was going to die in that short 30-45mins. And there was no rest at all as contractions was continuous but am only still 2cm dilated 🥲 Epidural feels more uncomfortable than painful, laughing gas didn’t work for me at all. After epidural labour is completely painless. If you are going for natural birth, Will suggest you to ask to lower epidural when it’s time to push so u can push easier. Also to make sure you have supportive nurses to help you when it’s time to push. My experience with the nurses at the hospital was horrible and i would have fail to give birth naturally if not for the gynae rush in to correct my pushing technique. The nurses were condescending, rude and teaching wrong technique to push. Drinking raspberry tea and using epi-no will help as well. Oh and having an experienced gynae is very important as well. I was super worried that induction will lead to csect but gynae was 95% certain it will not and will be successful and it did!

Read more