Female or male gynae

Hi mums. I was wondering if it’s necessarily more comfortable to have a female gynae rather than a male? Cause you will be asking a lot of personal questions and they will be checking on you a lot too. How did you choose your gynae? I have been asking around for recommendations. And now trying to shorten my list to decide.

24 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I decided on a male obstetrician, because my previous experiences with 3 different female gynae in public and private settings (saw over the years for non- pregnancy related issues) were mixed. I personally felt that the female gynae were more dismissive of my issues, and my current male obstetrician is more patient and assuring. Additionally, I have underlying chronic medical conditions and I wanted a gynae in SGH with maternal fetal medicine speciality, so he/she has the additional skill-set of handling mother/baby complications. I'm seeing Dr. Devendra in SGH. My frequency of seeing him was pretty low, about once a month till 30 weeks because my pregnancy has been uneventful till then. He's not going to molly-coddle you but he'll let you know if there's something important to know, and he presents the options in a neutral manner. He is patient in answering all my questions and gives me factual information about the current possible issues with the baby. I've never felt dismissed or that my questions were silly. Ultimately it's about your fit and comfort level with the gynae :) It's not unheard of to switch a doctor during pregnancy, if you feel that you're not comfortable with the current one.

Read more
Thành viên VIP

I personally prefer a female gynae and asked around for recommendations. Even though a lot of my friends advised that a male gynae is somehow more gentle and better, I ended up seeing a female gynae who is based at a very established clinic in Thomson Medical Centre. Given the track record of the clinic, she has a prenatal package which was quite affordable at $900 and my prenatal visits were ok. However, my experience with her during the actual delivery and postnatal checks weren’t that good. I had a natural delivery with epidural, with stitches but I was in a lot of pain after my delivery. My gynae dismissed my pain, was vague about the stitches and told me to eat more painkillers instead. If I were to choose again, I would have chosen a male gynae who might have more empathy and professionalism.

Read more
4y trước

I’m sorry about what your gynae did to you. May I know who was your gynae? Cause I’m looking at one female senior gynae who also practice at TMC

I see a male gynae as I heard they are less emotional during delivery. Also they have delivered so many babies that I think to them, it’s part of the job and will be professional about it. So far I’m having a positive experience w my male gynae and feel comfortable with him. He is very professional and gentle. Heard if require any sitching, he has done a very good job too. I would say go with what you’re comfortable with and also check if your husband has any preferences.

Read more
4y trước

Thanks a lot 🤗🙏

I chose a male gynae reason being that while working in the nursing industry especially in maternity, many of my patients and colleagues have told me that male gynae are more gentle on you as compared to female gynae. In the past I always took a female gynae to please my idiotic ex who was so appalled I allow a man to see my lower half🙄. My gynae is excellent and very soft spoken and gentle so definitely feel at ease with him.

Read more
4y trước

Yes, thanks a lot for your suggestion

I had thought I'd engage a male gynae (somehow had this idea that they'd be gentler and less emotional in delivery). But I was recommended a female gynae by a doctor and it worked out fine too! Speak to ur other half, and see if he has a preference too. (:

Influencer của TAP

For me myself I don't have preference. My priority to choose that gynae must be have many years experience and good review. You must see what's your priority and budget. Different gyne different charges too remember call in to check first too.

Mine was a male gynae frm private. Extremely patient and give you the assurance plus very detailed. He will asked to do more scan on the baby growth to ensure baby is growing and is healthy.

Thành viên VIP

I had a male gynae who was good and will answer to all your questions. He gives very good vibes and I feel very comfortable with him. He is extra careful and ensure everything is ok with us.

Thành viên VIP

i choose female gynae but the 20 weeks fullscan was done by male sonographer, and also my gynae's substitute is another male gynae, in the end it doesn't really matter

Influencer của TAP

Actually my first priority was to get a female gynae while my hb first priority was to get one who does delivery at TMC.