Will taking cough meds harm the pregnancy? [13-weeks]

Hi mummies, I have been having a very chesty, phlegmy dry cough for close to a week. It all started frm my flu den it escalated to cough. Severe headaches come in between bt it went off for a quite a while. Wen dat happen, i took the normal panadol which was previously prescribed by a GP. Bt my overthinking mind is nt to take too much as i fear the condition of my baby. Bt my cough doesnt goes away, in fact, it escalate to me losing my sense of taste. My nose got blocked. I tried some home remedy, bt doesnt goes away. I tried to force myself to eat something with spice or sour taste bt none triggers my taste buds. Though i manage to get some of it, bt it just thoroughly disappointing wen i cant tastw watever im eating/drinking. My husband has asked me to see a GP to get treated. Im just worried having to take too much medication at this period bt im too weak to hold d pain & self healed. Wenever i cough, i always fear for the baby. Bt it is safe?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I took cough meds as prescribed to me when I just confirmed my pregnancy at around 4 weeks because I was down with covid. Like you, I was really fearful of tetratogens (anything that may result in foetal developmental issues), so I was wary of taking the cough syrup, and took only sparingly, really to ease the cough especially at night. I also took the cough drops sparingly when I have to get relief. Mostly, I drank warm water, lemon water, honey to try and help my recovery. I'm still coughing even though one month has passed, and the cough will get better with time.. I read that coughing doesn't affect the baby, so try not to worry too much about that! It's important to treat the virus or bacteria causing your immune system to go out of whack though, so concentrate on getting better, and if you must medicate, just take. Hope this helps, and get well soon!

Read more
11mo trước

tq so much. i truly appreciate yr sharing. and yes, i did wen to go and was given some meds. cant deny dat aftr taking d meds, it does feel so much relieved though im still congested. bt at least, i dont cough as much.

Whatever go prescribed are safe as they know better. Just consistently take the medicine. I also get long term coughing ever since im pregnant and no medicine works. Even if i take alot of medicine, baby is still healthy and growing (currently 26w).

11mo trước

thanks mummy for this

Hi you can try using nasal rinses for your congested nose! It will clear the mucus stuck at the back!

Please go to your gynae instead of GP for prescription. Take care and speedy recovery

Influencer của TAP

do visit GP for GP to prescribe medication best suited for u

better to see a GP. not all medication is harmful. did you do ART?

11mo trước

yup, ive done the ART a couple of days and its negative. i might probably head down to GP later as it getting more irritable

GP prescribed medicines will be safe don’t worry

see a GP. not all medications are bad. Do ART.

11mo trước

i did my ART a couple of days and glad it still remain negative. bt yes, i will definitely try to consult a GP