How much weight gain during pregnancy is considered normal/healthy?

Hey mummies, how much weight gain throughout pregnancy is considered normal or healthy? I’m only just 6 weeks pregnant but have gained quite a bit of weight that I’m starting to feel insecure about my body already and fear for the next 34 weeks to come.. I used to engage in intermittent fasting (16-8) and workout quite a bit (HIIT and strength training mainly), but was told to refrain from any of these during pregnancy. So now I try to briskwalk on treadmill and do light stretches instead, and snack on fruits, yogurt, and granola oats in between meals.. but my weight has gained from 49kg > 53kg… I don’t think it’s normal to be gaining 4kg at just 6 weeks. Any advice?? #insecure #weightgain

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Had similar issues like yours. Was doing intermittent fasting for years. The change in how I had to eat when pregnant was quite an adjustment. I gained even more weight as my gynae instructed me not to exercise due to some medical issues in my first trimester. Now in my 2nd trimester and my weight doesn't fluctuate as much (or rather, too drastically too fast) with moderate activity approved and done consistently, and eating sensibly and healthily. It helped to know that most of the weight comes from fluids and maternal tissues (I take a screenshot of the weight breakdown to remind myself it's okay). Prior to my pregnancy, I didn't know how much weight gain to expect, so it's quite shocking... but now I'm starting to accept it as it is. I also find ways to dress fashionably, show off the bump haha and it helped. Above all, knowing baby is healthy and I'm medically well. Anyway, my gynae is not too concerned, too. Some days, I feel more insecure, and I'll put in a little more self-care, each day bringing me closer to baby's EDD!

Read more

Hey there mummy, you’re EXACTLY the same as me; I was comfortable skipping breakfast and lunch and was about 48-49kg pre pregnant. All my clothes were like high waist pants/skirts with crop tops. 🥲🥲🥲 Today I’m wk37 and I’ve gained about 14kg so far….. my baby is not even gigantic and my gynae even asked me to eat more protein so baby is bigger. T^T I haven’t been working out much because I’ve always been soooo tired, and I tried doing lunges and my quads and butt hurt for like 3 days haha. Your physique level might be very different, but don’t be hard on yourself and be prepared that weight gain is gonna be the norm! You’re NOT eating for 2 people in the sense that your baby eats the same calories as you. But you definitely need more food intake as you think about your powerful body growing organs even when you’re seemingly doing “nothing”, constantly channeling nutrients to your LO!

Read more

Hey mama! First off, congrats on your pregnancy! 🎉💖 It’s super normal to feel a bit unsure about all the changes happening. Weight gain can vary a lot, especially in early pregnancy, and sometimes those extra pounds sneak up due to things like water retention and all the extra blood your body’s producing. So honestly, gaining around 4 kg at this stage can be totally okay! Switching to walking and light stretching sounds like a solid plan – and those snacks sound pretty healthy, too! Every pregnancy is its own journey, and sometimes our bodies have different plans, but you’re doing awesome. If you’re curious about what’s typical for weight gain throughout pregnancy and some other tips, check out this article we have: https://sg.theasianparent.com/how-much-pregnancy-weight-should-you-gain Hope this helps a bit! And remember, you’re not alone in this! 🌟💪

Read more

weight gain is determined by our pregnancy hormones which may cause water retention as well. There's nothing much you can do to prevent the weight gain but you can continue with the current exercises like brisk walking and eating healthily. You can seek further advice from your gynae on what's the total weight gain you should be gaining at the end of your pregnancy

Read more

you shouldn't be worry about it. it's normal. I gain about 20kg throughout the 9 months. remember you're carrying a baby. you have the baby weight, the amniotic fluid, water retention. your body is doing a job for 2 person. don't be too hard on yourself. as long as you're healthy and baby is fine all that matters ❤️

Read more