my son calls me aunty...

I'm really sad. I don't know why I always feel so inferior to my own family. My mother is a very dominant person... even after I got married and had children. I'm a stepchild, you know, mom. So I already have a child. Since my child could talk, whenever my mother meets my child, she always says, "Just call her auntie. Auntie. Auuuuntie." I once asked her seriously about this... and she said, "Oh, come on, mom's just kidding." I feel really hurt being treated like this by my own family, mom.

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I'm really sorry to hear that you're feeling this way. It sounds like a challenging situation to navigate, especially when it comes to family dynamics. It's important to address your feelings and communicate openly with your mother about how her actions are affecting you. One possible approach could be to have a heart-to-heart conversation with your mother, expressing how her insistence on being called "auntie" by your child makes you feel. You could share with her your perspective and how it impacts your relationship and sense of belonging within the family. Additionally, it might be beneficial to seek support from a counselor or therapist who can help you work through these emotions and provide coping strategies. Sometimes having an objective third party can offer new perspectives and guidance on how to address the situation effectively. Remember that your feelings are valid, and it's essential to prioritize your emotional well-being. Open and honest communication with your family members can help foster understanding and possibly lead to a resolution that works for everyone involved. https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

would suggest you cut her off whenever she does this, and tell your child to call her instead. (e.g "call what aunty, call ah ma." and point to your mum) This redirects what your mom meant into what he should call your mom instead of calling you. it also redirects her joke to become a mistake on her part, and you politely tell her she is wrong without saying she is wrong. usually I believe if they mean no harm, they will usually stop there as you are doing them a favor (teaching your kid to call her) but if she is stubborn and insists on continuing the joke, then (I am bad, but if it's me i'll cut her off again and tell your child, this person doesn't want you to call her! so next time see her ignore)

Read more

It’s hurtful, my mum said a lot of hurtful words to me during confinement too. I gave in n didn’t do anything but it became worst.. I need my peace n mental wellbeing , so I stop contacting her for awhile. Thou i felt so guilty but peace is what we need sometimes!!

I called my stepfather, uncle. Your feeling is telling you this is wrong. You should say this is not funny and correct her by telling your son you are his one and only mummy.

Just to clarify, this is your stepmother? and your stepmother is asking your biological child to call you auntie? Am I understanding this correctly?

3mo trước

Ya, I am not sure I understand the parts "you know, mom". 🤔

This is by far the stupidest thing I have heard. Stay away from toxic people. You deserve to be respected and cherished.

Nah, thats toxic. I'd keep my son away until she respects me as a mother.

💕

💕

💕